Protecting your fruit from squirrel's and other critters

http://www.spark-away.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI94qTj6jg4QIVyRiBCh07wggUEAEYAyAAEgLn2fD_BwE

Will a device like this work to keep squirrels out of fruit trees?

If you guys think its worth trying, I can order one to test in my back yard. I dont like that the site doesn’t have a way to ask if this devices sensors will detect movement from a squirrel (may be too small to trigger the sensor)

shooting/trapping is not an option for me.

@Girly, a squirrel will definitely trigger it. i think it may work for awhile. Then they get used to it.

maybe if you move it around every couple days or weeks.

1 Like

Would the squirrels make enough zaps to drive you and the neighbors nuts? I’ll be curious to hear how this works on them.

1 Like

Susi,
I’ve also heard that pouring ammonia in their holes can drive them away. I’ve never tried it, though.

1 Like

If its anything like those sonic deterrents, yes, it will do more to annoy your neighbors than any other animal.

1 Like

He still hasn’t returned? Do you think it worked?

I’m hoping so.

1 Like

I tried both pinwheels and radio. Pinwheels didn’t work at all. Radio worked for a day. I saw the groundhog walking away few times after getting close to the enclosed veggie area. But today he finally worked up the courage to jump the fence and have a snack while listening to the radio. I finally decided to bite the bullet and call a critter control firm. Will set me back $300 but I have to garden :disappointed:

1 Like

Just use a smoke bomb. The other exit can’t be that far onto the neighbor’s. Just stuff a few clods of sod into their end so you don’t have to dig in their yard. It only takes a few minutes. That is probably what the critter control will do, anyway.

I got rid of my groundhog by filling up the holes with that spray foam stuff. He could have dug around it but he didn’t.

4 Likes

Like that method. Think I will try it on my ground squirrels.

I have heard that for squirrels you might want to first pack in some coarse steel wool, then its too painful to try to dig out.

1 Like

That’s what they recommend for mice

In fact, they have some of that spray foam with steel fragments in it

1 Like

Today I decided to throw in a Giant Destroyer in his burrow. Came home a little early from work because I wanted to catch the groundhog during his afternoon nap. Didn’t think he’d be out and about at 3pm. I’ve been watching him lately and he’s out around 7am and again around 5-6pm.so I go through the trouble to throw in a smoke bomb, cover all the numerous holes that I didn’t know existed because the burrow is under a fallen tree trunk and it’s hard to see what’s what. Anyway I cover everything while trying to stick to my yard and not step over to the neighbor too much and at the same time worrying about what my neighbors might think if they saw me. “That woman is nuts”.
Anyway… so after all that, groundhog walks in back from his afternoon stroll and wonders why he is all locked out of the house. Can’t catch a break!

3 Likes

Even if he sets up burrow somewhere else, wouldn’t he come back to where the food is?

1 Like

This works with gophers but I don’t know if it works for other critters. When I see a dirt mound, there will be the entrance right under it from the underground tunnel. I would crack a few eggs, drop them in and cover the hole. They would dig up another hole close by, but after a few times they would give up and disappear. They say it works because the smell of the protein makes them think a different kind of creature stays in the tunnel. I have to crack the eggs or it will not work. One time it dropped in before I could puncture it with a screwdriver, and I ran out of eggs. The next day the egg was sitting nicely on the lawn next to the hole. Nothing else works including red pepper flakes, castor oil, or the electronic in ground vibrators.

Are you saying eggs made him finally leave the burrow? But didn’t he still visit your yard for food?

The gophers eat the roots of my trees. They didn’t come back for a year. I saw the signs a few days ago and gave the same treatment twice. I haven’t seen anything else since then. I think it may work the same way like cat litter for other creatures. When they think there are unknown animals around they will avoid the place.

1 Like

The food doesn’t start for awhile so the hope is he will take a long journey. Unfortunately I think I saw him this evening. I may know where his burrow is now though, I heard loud leaf rustling then silence so I think he is about 20’ into the woods by my house.

2 Likes

Susu, you might have gotten one of the pair. Now that you know where the holes are, try again. I was successful in early afternoon. And I don’t know if gophers and groundhogs react to the same repellents. Did the groundhog open all the holes again, or just one? In my case, he just reopened one hole, so a second attempt to get him, which was successful, was easy to do.

1 Like