Prunning cherry trees

i’m i wrong thinking this might work?

i want it to grow horizontally and them shoot up…
will new shoots appear from the horizontal branches?

2 Likes

You are Portuguese too, great! I recognize this house… it could only be portuguese! What area are you? :+1:

hehe Serra da Estrela
all becoming green again after the 2017 fires…

1 Like

That’s great! So no snow yet or this photo is old?

just above 600mt… i’m at 450
big snow yesterday… here just -4º on thursday… need to cover my kumkquats and buhda lemons…

1 Like

Ok that’s great! :blush:

That should work. Only difference is that these have been planted at an angle. Unknown

What rootstock are you using? You can always force cherries and other fruit species to grow horizontally, but you need to prune the scaffolds to encourage fruiting by summer pruning the water sprouts that tend to grow vertically in reaction to pulling branches down. Usually if you cut a shoot back to 3-4 inches (say, about 75 millimeters) 2 or 3 times during the growing season it will inspire the creation of flower buds, at least as the tree matures. Shoots of lesser diameter are usually the ones to fruit first and developing small fruiting wood is the main struggle of training fruit trees not on fully dwarfing rootstock. Cherries on vigorous rootstocks are not very precocious and can take 8 years for me to manage into productive trees. If you keep tying down the growth as branches extend and don’t stub cut them back you can probably make it happen more quickly if you summer prune uprights off the scaffolds. You can wait until fall to tie the new growth down to horizontal. That will maximize extension growth without slowing down fruiting. Sometimes that involves letting the last water sprout away from the trunk on the scaffold to grow freely to become the leader of the scaffold when you pull it to horizontal in the fall or early spring.

1 Like