Pumpkin Seed

Pumkins are a fruit.

Anyone know of a pumpkin seed supplier.

I had used Harris in the past, but that doesn’t look like it works anymore.

We have a small commercial pumpkin patch. We generally buy seed packets of 25 seeds, maybe 40 different types of pumpkins. The variety of all the many different types of pumpkins really helps sell them imo. Last year we spent about $400 on seed, mostly 25 seeds per packets.

This year the prices seem to be stupid expensive for 25 seed packets at Harris seeds.

They are approaching 75 cents per seed or more.

Anyone know who may sell small packets of pumpkin seed at something resembling reasonable?

I’m seriously considering not growing pumpkins because of the crazy seed cost.

2 Likes

Will be difficult to find in volume. I use Johnny’s Seed for some pumpkins. Most varieties average $.20 to $.25 per seed. Johnny’s produces most of their own seed so their costs are generally lower than other suppliers.

i just looked at Harris. WOW! you were not kidding. Prices are sky high.

3 Likes

I second Johnny’s as a great source geared towards the small to medium market grower. Fedco and Southern Exposure also have some interesting selections, but their focus is more in eating than ornamental. Also check out the winter squash sections for more exotic shaped pumpkins.

Last but not least, Seeds From Italy in Lawrence KS has a small but very interesting selection, including a sampler packet. They have large packets. The 20g sampler would be less than 10¢ a seed.

1 Like

Some of these are .15-.20 cents a piece. est. 20 seeds per pack. Free shipping over $25.

1 Like

I would buy a pound of them. Connecticut field and howden do well here

1 pound = 3000 seeds

2 Likes

if you’re alright with heirloom, rareseeds.com has free shipping and free seeds added to your order the more you buy.

1 Like

Want to thank everyone who offered suggestions.

Do to all the suggestions, not only did I find more unique varieties this year, but I ended up saving almost $100 on pumpkin seed.

4 Likes

You done it now Olpea. Please post where and what you purchased. :slight_smile: :smiley: :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Oh my, that is a bit of a challenge. Let me see what I can do. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Ok, here’s the list I copied and pasted.

I’m really no expert on pumpkins at all. Whenever I decide on pumkin seed, I just look at the pictures and choose pumpkins that look interesting. I’ve found that on a PYO pumpkin patch all the different shapes, sizes and colors are really what sells and makes people happy.

Of course we grow traditional orange carving jacks, but variety is what makes if fun for people. We even make it more of a “hunt” by planting the seed randomly.

We tear open all the early maturing seed packs and mix them in one big bag, then plant them randomly. That makes it end up so that almost every step in the pumpkin patch shows a different pumpkin.

Two weeks after we plant the early maturing pumpkins, we mix up the late maturing pumpkin seed and plant it, so that all the pumpkins are sort of ready to pick at the same time.

Most of the pumpkins (and decorative winter squash) I ordered below are just small packets, but some of the orange jacks, I ordered 100 seed packets because we need plenty of carving jacks. I ordered 100 of Secretariat because people seem to like the really unusually thick stems of Secretariat (the stems do look kinda cool). I ordered 100 of Big Doris just because it’s a nice big jack. I may not have ordered enough seed, but I wanted to get something ordered for now.

We don’t plant pumpkins till late June here, so there is plenty of time, if I need to order more.

Blaze
Cronus
Carnival
Hot Chocolate
Mellow yellow
Polar Bear
Turks Turban
Scarface
Long Island Cheese
Grizzly Bear
Flat Stacker
Black Bear
Jarrahdale
Boston Marrow
Galeux D’ Eysines
Musquee de Maroc
Musquee De Provence
Secretariat F1
Kettle Corn F1
Green Eggs N Ham F1
White Lightning
Blue Eyes
Pink Hearts
Specter
Honey Moon
Blue Ice
Thor
Blue Prince
Musquee de Maroc
Porcelain Princess
Sugar Cup
Big Doris
Rembrandt

2 Likes

I thought it might be interesting a few pics of some of our pumpkins from last season.

Here is a display a customer made at her front door, from pumpkins she picked in our patch.

Here’s a bunch of pumpkins a mother & daughter picked and set out on our farm stand table. As I recall they picked something like 400#s of pumpkins.

4 Likes

i go around and collect pumpkins from folks after Halloween for my chics. i split them and throw them in their run. they love the seeds. they miss some and the ones on the outside of the run grow so every year i get several random pumpkin vines growing for free. due to the manure they grow really well. never know what kind you’ll get.

2 Likes

We have lots of pumpkins left over after Halloween. It’s impossible to sell pumpkins after Halloween, so we let customers who have livestock come and pick them up for free. They haul them away by the pickup and trailer load.

1 Like

i have a friend that has pigs that does that. there’s a farm in the area that grows them and literally has tons left over.

1 Like

People often comment how many we have left over too. It seems like a lot of wastage, but the fruits are hard to see when the foliage is alive. Some of the last customers of the season act like there is not much out there in the pumpkin patch, but once the foliage dies (after Halloween) there are loads pumpkins everywhere.

2 Likes

That’s a nice selection. Some good eating pumpkins in there, for sure. Growing up in New Jersey, Long Island cheese was the go-to pumpkin for pies and other baked goods. Tasty and it looks good, too.

A couple other varieties to consider to diversify the looks would be Marina di Chioggia and Blue Hubbard. They’re usually sold as winter squash, not pumpkins, but they’re all pumpkins as far as I’m concerned.

2 Likes