Questions not deserving of a whole thread

@Chills
The web site is up to date As of this week

I have neither of the cultivars you question growing near the forest so I would not have any input on those

How ever the few trees that are Persimmon plant in or near the wood line tent to grow strait up and the fruits are unaccessible and the squirrels gets all the fruit because the canopy of the persimmon will compete with the near by trees and produce very little fruit due to location of the near by trees

On the other hand if your location has 6 hours of direct sun during the day it is considered to be full sun

However that is not how I look at it but how am I to question the Professionals LOL

Thank you and Happy New Year

Tree and Scion wood List 10 DEC 2020 Farms 1, 2 and 3 .pdf (659.3 KB)
Winter & Spring 2021 Catalogue .pdf (426.5 KB)

2 Likes

Here’s some information on how to do it yourself. Just FYI for you an others interested in this method.

1 Like

Question. Can You Solve This Mystery?

I was not sure what ‘topic’ this falls under . . .
Let’s just say that ‘I need help with solving a mystery.’
Let’s see if you come up with the same solution that I did!

It starts with a garden ‘belt’. One with lots of pouches and pockets. Some are zipped. Some are snapped. Some just wide open at the top. Places for snips and other gardening implements. Very handy. Very heavy. So I don’t use it much. As a matter of fact, it has been hanging on our coat tree in the kitchen for months now.

My dogs ‘stay’ in our kitchen. Their kennels are part of our ‘furniture’ - and they are fed nearby, too. They eat dry kibble and share a can of wet food, daily, as well. They are cute. But, they are minor characters here. They are merely props that provide the dry dog food - which is a major character in this story.

Last week I was adjusting the ‘5 too many coats’ that were hanging from the coat tree, when it toppled - along with that garden belt I told you about. When I picked up the belt - I must have turned it upside down - because out came ‘a heap’ of dog food pellets! This was perplexing to me, because I know - beyond a shadow of a doubt - that I never would have filled one of my gardening pouches with dry dog food. ?

But, there it was. Filled to the brim with little brown kibble. Over a cup full.

So, I ask you, reader . . . . how did it get there? A gardening pouch not touched by human hands for at least 2 months . . . bulging with our Shih Tzu’s dry food.

I think I know. There only seems to be one reasonable answer. Anyone want to offer their ideas as to the culprit in this Winter’s Tail ? . . . oops - that should be 'TALE.'

1 Like

A rodent would seem to be the most likely culprit.

5 Likes

Mouse.

4 Likes

I think the dogs put it there, so they’d have snacks in the garden

3 Likes

Mouse or …RAT! :tired_face:

3 Likes

Same thing happened to me when I was a kid. My dad had a pair of Sorrel pack boots that he kept on the top shelf of his closet, above the hanging clothes. These are the cold weather boots with the thick felt inserts. He pulled his boots down one day to find one of the boots completely filled with dry dog food kibbles. Turns out that a deer mouse had gotten into the house and started stockpiling dog food in what felt like a safe place. An impressive feat considering how far away the dog food bowl was from the bedroom.

3 Likes

It looks like people have narrowed it down to some kind of rodent,Karen.
Your situation reminded me of something though,that happened years ago,when I was a student at a technical school.I was staying with another guy in the class,which was training for RV repair and he had a big mobile home.
He didn’t like the fix it type work,so he turned the adjoining carport into a greenhouse,to grow wheat grass,to sell.
I found a small,non functioning propane RV furnace,that if it could be made to work,I’d left him use it.This was an unusual design,where it had a heat chamber made of very soft fire brick,I think someone said,the same material used for the outer tiles on the space shuttle.
Anyway,I took the thing apart and found a small,dead fly had been been blocking a gas orifice.So,after putting it back together,it fired up real nice.I left it on a planting bench and was going to install in the greenhouse in a day or two.
When it came time to move it,I decided to test it once more and while the thing was running,with it’s fan going,a sound came from in it,that was like small rocks being tossed around.
It turned out,that the air intake tube was positioned underneath a bird feeder and they had kicked a bunch of seeds into it,which were sucked inside the chamber and acted like a sand blaster,rendering it useless.
Sometimes it’s easy come and go.

2 Likes

I think it was a mouse, too.
Well - it has to be!
But I really got a kick out of the thought that the little guy made so many trips up and down that coat tree - and back and forth from the dogs’ bowl - to store an entire pouch of kibble! I almost . . . . . almost . . . . . felt badly to have to sabotage his efforts. And the funny thing is - there was no other evidence of his presence. No poops . . . no pee.
Now, we had better check the pockets of the coats we hang there!

5 Likes

question: I have some trees I want to graft pollinizer or backup branches onto where I’m already growing both varieties. I was thinking I’d do chip buds during the growing season since I don’t need to worry about getting dormant scions or mailing anything. is that a good plan or should I consider doing things now? mainly apples, cherries, japanese plums

Does anyone know if Priscilla and Westfield Seek No Further (apples) are diploid or triploid? I have searched and can’t seem to find the answer online.

According to PRI (for Priscilla) and Pomiferous (for Westfield), both are diploid.

Thanks Jerry! I will check both sources in the future. I had been using www.orangepippintrees.com to check my other trees but they did not have the above listed.

Noticed M111 rootstock on my apple has some strange protuberances. Anyone seen these before? The one previously looked like a very low branch cut at the nursery before I bought it. But not sure…

1 Like

Burrknots, not uncommon for this rootstock.

5 Likes

Depends how badly you want backups…i would do both so that any that failed on the first round could be redone by budding on the second

1 Like

Any Texans here can help identify this deer?
IMG_20210126_165240

3 Likes

Not a Texan , but…
That looks like Steve to me…
Yah, I think it’s Steve.

13 Likes

I think it’s Steve. He is in Austin TX that is why I thought Texans know. Thanks a lot.Perfect​:+1::+1::kissing_cat:

2 Likes