Questions not deserving of a whole thread

almonds, apricot, peaches or myrobalans could easily cross. Euros not so much. it is possible Almond and Peaches leaves are quite distinct so there highbred would likely show this.

1 Like

Has anyone else tried grafting onto green “first year” wood on a pawpaw? I ask because I am trying it regardless, but wondering if any success stories are out there. I’ll share my results.

This is what happens when you have extra buds left and you know how long they traveled to get to you :joy: (also stubborn naiveté and general curiosity)

2 Likes

Never even thought of doing that! It sound like an interesting experiment though! Grafting lignified wood onto fresh green wood sounds pretty odd. I wonder if grafting new growth from another tree onto first year wood would work. New pawpaw growth is usually quite soft and thin, though it could be doable with a vigorous tree that’s putting out thicker growth. Good luck!

Well, here’s to trying!

Also - I did some “franken-multi-grafts” on two others with four and six cultivars, respectively, so we’ll see how good my grafting skills are after a little practice. One bad “link in the chain” and the others won’t make it, so we’ll see…

3 Likes

So that green wood (are you referring to graft in pic?) Is just a few weeks old?

It is Fran! It may be a horrible waste of time, but my rational thought process on it is > If you are trying to graft to the cambium layer under “normal” conditions because it is the growing portion of the tree wood, wouldn’t the entirety of the “green wood” (I can’t remember the proper term from school) be alive and potentially capable of callusing? If so, wouldn’t lining up the cambium be irrelevant as long as you are touching some part of that new wood with the scion cambium?

Hopefully a successful experiment to further our understanding of pawpaws :adult:‍:microscope::thinking:

Nursery question … has anyone had a problem this year with The Arboreum Company and customer service? I had a number of issues with my order, plus I’m due a refund that they acknowledged on their packing slip. After several emails and an inquiry through their website I have yet to hear anything from them (or get my refund – at this point I’ll take a credit!). I’m sure they are swamped this time of year and probably are dealing with being short staffed like many nurseries. Trying to be understanding but I’m getting concerned at this point about future ordering which is really sad because they have good stuff and varieties not found elsewhere.

Nope, the cambium is not “inside” the “green wood”
It’s between that and the bark.
I do think however, when it’s actively growing it could be 2 times as thick (in cell count) instead of the normal cell thickness that it usually is. (i think it’s around 6 cells thick when dormant, and when actively growing 12+)

In short, lining up the cambium is still important when grafting green wood.

However you have a larger margin of error. And green wood grows/callouses faster. However so does your scion dry out faster if it’s not dormant. However if you graft a dormant scion that’s been stored perfectly to really actively growing stock, you got and ideal situation.

3 Likes

Yes Ryan, it is Fran!
Very interesting experiment.
Oscars cambium facts very enlightening.
Looking forward to results.
That will be an interesting pawpaw tree that you have pictured.
I have a few scions left from local tree (name or fruit characteristics unknown but i think big fruit). So
I’m going to graft them tomorrow but this time using paraffin tape over length of scion, and not toilet bowl wax that I used on all previous grafts done May 20 (still waiting for any hint of bud swell on those.) I’m wondering if toilet bowl wax slows down budding speed compared to paraffin tape.

1 Like

Filling out my ripen charts and I’m curious for those of you that grow SpiceZee, when does it ripen vs Redhaven? I don’t have it in my notes but I’m guessing within a week 7 days in either direction. Would just like to confirm. I can’t find it on any ripening charts.

That is the kind of answer I was looking for Oscar, thank you. Hopefully others will be able to take advantage of my experiment if it works well. My scion material is very dormant so I hope it has a good shot at callousing.

2 Likes

i don’t have any experience grafting pawpaw.

I have experimented with grafting later in the season. (still grafting things right now . I’m really running late this year)
If grafted both dormant and non dormant scions to actively growing stock. Both worked great. I also expect your graft to take (as long as cambium is matching somewhere)

1 Like

I think I have cambium contact on each graft. I am also running late, lots of persimmons left to do now that I have the apples and pawpaws completed. I’m hoping they have a high success rate as the temperature is warm here and both the wood and rootstock have been in a refrigerator (trees only) while dormant.

1 Like

I’m grafting pawpaws this year as well and I have not yet seen any growth on my grafts. I re-grafted 2 that I noticed were looking loose yesterday…

Most of the pawpaw grafts are about 2 weeks old at this point.

Scott

My paw paw grafts 3 weeks tomorrow…no growth or even swelling yet.
All cleft grafts, outdoors on established tree

1 Like

Regarding grafts without signs of growth: I made a pear bench graft using OHF97 at the beginning of April. During that time, the root stock only grew a single leaf that slowly withered away. I was assuming it was failed but let it be. Now, approx 9 weeks later, both the scion and root stock are starting to put out growth. Perhaps it was the scion variety ( Duchesse D’Angouleme ) as the same scion variety has only just begun to leaf on a graft made to an established tree, while two different pear varieties began showing growth several weeks earlier.

3 Likes

Makes me feel better about no progress 2 weeks in…

Keep us posted please…

Scott

1 Like

2 grafts of Susquehanna on existing trees. Grafted on 4/24. Took almost 6 weeks to show sign of life and these are them today.
I have grafted pawpaws when the trees (in ground) started to push leaves. Always cleft or bark grafts. I always wrapped scionwood with stretch parafilm. Successful almost all of the time including ones I grafted for my friend.

Be patient. Wish you success

1 Like

Scott:
This eve I cleft grafted 4 scions to paw paw using parafilm.
The grafts done 3 weeks ago were clefts with toilet bowl wax.
Edit:
@disc4tw sent me a link from this site with negative toilet bowl wax comments, from @thecityman.
But it seems as long as the toilet bowl wax doesn’t get into the cambium layer the grafts should still work but maybe long-term not good for the bark. So from that perspective My grafts should start popping without harmful effects of toilet bowl wax.
So in case toilet bowl wax is not good for paw paws (even though I used it
successfully several weeks ago on apples and pears) I thought I would do a backup ( and experiment) with parafilm. It’s encouraging to know
@mamuang posted a 6 week wait time.
So my 3 weeks isn’t a lost cause

Any idea what this is? some type of white/ pink mold/fungus on my mulberry tree. I’m in zone 9a, very humid and its been raining a lot this year. Should I just spray with a copper fungicide?