Questions not deserving of a whole thread

It’s a sunflower which gives me a smidge of hope. Got an overleese next to it, but both plants are are pretty young. Could all be for naught as we’re still a month out from last frost date.

1 Like

A couple of questions I’d like to throw out there.

Are Vegetables stored in the same fridge as scion wood going to cause the same problems as ripening fruit? If you need to watch out for vegetables in the fridge with scions, are some worse than others as far as producing ethylene?

Another thing I was wondering about is why is it not recommended to start the main Y branch formation of a fan below 18". Most of my trees are going to be fan trained against a fence. I want to keep these trees below 7’ in height. It would seem to me that a lower starting point for the initial Y scaffolds would allow for more productive fruiting wood in a small tree in a limited space with restricted height. I do not live in a snowy location if that is part of the reasoning for beginning the Y scaffolds at a height above 18".

Any feedback on these questions would be appreciated.

1 Like

I’m not speaking from experience but I’d guess the reason for this would be that when the tree fruits it will droop and 18" is enough that it won’t hit the dirt and cause rot/ other issues.

I wouldn’t think that should come into play with fan trained trees, as they are usually attached to trellis wires or bamboo stakes etc for support.

Rabbit fence is about that high.

1 Like

I have 3 dogs, so rabbits have not really been a problem. I rarely see a rabbit on the property and they have never damaged any of my trees or raided my garden. Deer unfortunately are a different story.

1 Like

Does anyone use Toole cloth as a bird net for their fruit trees? I’ve used it for blueberry before and it was awesome compared to picking after the birds.
Would it deter deer at all? Deer hop my 4ft fence every winter and like to hang out there, which previously I haven’t minded that much. They aren’t too much of a problem for my vegetable garden in the past, compared to rabbits and snails a little bit. My house is pretty close to the road and they have tons of wilderness behind me, so Deer don’t seem to be hungry enough to come to my yard unless it’s November or later, I hope adding a few fruit trees that will be done long before then won’t change that.

1 Like

That’s the bridal veil cloth right?I think it’s spelled Tulle.Yes,I have a little and use it on a couple of potted trees,when they have fruit.
The thing is,there are no deer here,mostly birds,raccoons,opossums and occasional squirrels.It does seem to keep them away.
The widest I’ve found it is 4 feet.So it gets wound around and overlapped,but still lets plenty of light in.

3 Likes

Like most of you, I presume, I watch way too many videos and read too many articles on the things that currently hold my interest. recently I’ve been seeing assorted grafts that don’t necessarily look too good a little more often than I used to, and my persimmon grafts from last year are also not so pretty as something like an apple or pear tend to be. This got me thinking, and maybe it should be a new thread, but maybe it’s also a “been there, done that, don’t waste your time” scenario. So…

Is there anything to be gained from doing what I assume is a smaller version of a bridge graft, but more like a skin graft in people where you take a strip of scion and put it over a healed graft (or other wound) and tie it ito the surrounding cambium?
If so, are there benefits (in some cases) to be gained from using another sort of cambium along the lines of an interstem sort of boon?

I presume pains would need to be takn to clean anything that could not be stripped off very well.

If given space to run wild, how many years do you get out of strawberries? Will they spread on their own?

if you can control the runners usually you can keep them going for a long time. disease is the reason people destroy a old bed and buy new plants.

Anyone know if deer eat herbs like oregano, thyme, and sage?

I have sage and thyme in my garden which are frequent by deer, they pretty much stick to my tomatoes and clematis vines and don’t touch the herbs at all.

Check out the ingredients for liquid fence :wink:

They have left my herb spiral alone.

These are coming up in my garden in 7A. Can’t remember what I planted there that would look like this. Possibly lily but I don’t remember them looking like this. Thoughts?

1 Like

at this point it looks like skunk cabbage

It is good for about a season. It is not UV stabilized and fells apart after a summer of sun. Sometimes(if windy) even earlier.

They will spread, if the soil is fertile. But the original plants will be no good in about 4 years. So if you let them grow outward, you will always have somewhat fresh planting on the sides. The middle will be occupied by still alive but not productive plants, so the new plants established between them are not going to get enough sun or nutrition.

I was gathering Callery rootstock and found two seedlings with red leaves. First pic is Callery on the right and two red leaf seedlings on the left. Need help with identification. These look like Apple seedlings to me , What do you guys think ?

1 Like

I can see that from the picture, but it is much too small and in a relatively dry part of my garden. I’ll take any other guesses, but I may just have to let it grow out to see.

1 Like