Re- evaluating bagging fruit

Hahahaha silly kitty

@mamuang
I did cuts on the corners like that and found curcs inside the bags! Plums and apples were what i trialed the bags on. Some turned out nice and others they got.

1 Like

I only use them for apples and sometimes pears. I don’t use ziplock plastic bags on th8n skinned fruit like peaches and plums for fear of rot.

Your curcs are a lot smarter than mine. Never have had curc, PC or OFM i; bagged apples. Only earwigs.

3 Likes

Had water collect in the corners of some of the bags and i would find a dozen curcs drowned in the water. I was very surprised they managed to get in the bags!

1 Like

How wTer collected in bags. My cut corners are so big. They don’t collect water.

1 Like

Its not thatbpart of the bag. In this thread you will see how i bagged plums which is the same asvi did apples Bagging plums with bread bags. Open to suggestions/comments . I had some success and failures with the method. My technique needs some work and i suspect screen wire is the answer. Imagine organic plums , apricots, peaches , sweet cherries, and nectarines. I know its wishful thinking!

We talked about two different methods.

All I can tell you is that all my apples in plastic zip lock bags with two lower corners cut off do not have PC in them.

My perforated bread bags only work when fruit do not touch the bags and I closed them tight with staples. No way PC or OFM could go in but they can lay egg or bite fruit through bread bags. The material is too flimsy.

3 Likes

I cut the corners much smaller. I get a lot of drops, but haven’t actually seen PCs in the bags ever.

2 Likes

I see no use in those large cuts. All you need is to let the rain drain out

I’ve moved into the micro perforated bread bag of Mamuang! After my next two sprays the bags go on. They will go on the pear earlier as my pears are growing really fast! Followed by peaches. I’ve already had bird damage on peaches that are only a quarter of an inch big!

2 Likes

Picked up a drop apple in the bag today. which was about 1" and very green/hard. There was bird pecks all over it. The bird tried hard but never penetrated the zip loc bag. It might be time to spray paint the bags with surround/dawn/neem. This mix sticks to the bag for a long time.

2 Likes

Mrs. G.,
I want tomake sure you know that perforated bags offer no protection against PC, OFM and CM if your fruit touch the side of these bags. Those pests can lay eggs through these bags.

@northwoodswis4, your are in a colder zone. Smaller holes for water draining purpose is sufficient. In a warmer zone you need a wider holes to help with ventilation, too.

@Auburn made his own multiple hole bags, working perfectly for his warner zone.

1 Like

I will do what you do, I will spray the bags with surround as well. Or a sticker first?

2 Likes

If you want, you can spray insecticide and fungicide on the peaches then bag them. After that you can spray them with Surround. Fruit will be clean as Surround sticks to the bags, not the fruit.

People could say, why bother :smile:

3 Likes

I never tried that kind of bread bag. Interesting idea. Lots of air movement
Im also thinking of just netting my stone fruit trees (4 of them) and using some kind of bag on apples and pears but def NOT clemsons. I tried again today im done with them.

R you spraying surround prior to bagging?

Adding - just saw u and Mamaung are doing surround first. I always did it that way too

Whats yr recipe for that mix?

What is your problem with Clemson bags?

Clemson bags are not for apples. There are paper bags for apples, (same concept as Clemson bags but smaller) but they are a big pain to apply on fruit like apples. I bought those paper bags for apples by mistake. Cannot use them on peaches (too small).

Ziplock plastic sandwich bags on apples are just right, easy to use, cheap and effective.

2 Likes

Anyone using organza this year? Eg. https://www.amazon.com/Hengu-Drawstring-Organza-Jewelry-Christmas/dp/B077XSYY21/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?keywords=5x7+organza+wedding+bag&qid=1559042263&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

1 Like

I do for stone fruit. It is the same as perforated bags. Cannot have fruit touch bags, which is almost impossible.

I use it with Surround so fruit look clean as Surround stick to the bags. Not really needed if you keep up with Surround spray and do not care if fruit look whitish.

2 Likes