Re- evaluating bagging fruit

You are brave. I admit I am afraid that bugs would fly in with such wide opening at the bottom. I do but the two ends at the bottom pretty wide. However, when it’s hot and humid, inside of the bag sticks together quite tightly. I have had to manually pull them apart to create air flow.

Love your creativity and willingness to share you new creation.

1 Like

Harrow Sweet. @mamuang

2 Likes

Glad to see you use ziplock bags on pears. I’ve never done it until this year. I only put a few on Euro pears. Seeing yours, I may put on more.

I probably won’t bag Asian pears. Way too many.

1 Like

I took the sunburned ones out as my one way of thinning more (it is hard to over-thin). Most are Gold Rush.

1 Like

I didn’t realize apples could sunburn like that. Are you assuming the bags caused it? Or combination of bags and high heat?

1 Like

Only bags that have the inside stick together like glue preventing airflow to circulate inside that bags. In that condition, apples are trapped and overheated resulting in apples getting sunburned on the side facing the sun.

If the bags have sufficient airflow, sunburn should not occur.

2 Likes

I had one apple I removed from the tree that looked like your top picture. The brown spont was not rot or soft. It was burned tough skin. I still removed the apple.

No, the spots were not rot. They just burned, shriveled and sunken.
The big one on the left has already sunken.

Thanks for tip on sunburn caused by bags stuck together. I have found it’s far easier to pull the bags apart when I first put them on versus months later. Goldrush seems prone to sunburn here.

1 Like

I bagged several hundreds so I did not pull all the bags apart at the beginning. Usually, it is not bad because it rained fairly often o it is not that hot. Not this year. It has been mostly dry so I have seen more sun burn.

@mrsg47 ,
Even bagged plums got sunburn for the first time ever!!!

1 Like

So did my tomatoes and a few apricots. Its always something!

1 Like

Tomatoes got sun burn, too?

For me, only bagged fruit get sun burn esp. when they are in bags with little to no air circulation.

It’s too late for me this year, but I’ll get some to try

Its really hot here!

I have heard from a friend in southern Germany that it is very and dry hot there, too.

We have had three major heatwaves.

1 Like

Several years ago I heard that some french vintners were quietly buying land in Germany, anticipating the day when climate change makes e.g. pinot noir impossible in France.

1 Like

When do you start making these bags to sell?

Antmary has not posted here for over two years. Not sure when she will return.

1 Like