Re- evaluating bagging fruit

@JamesRinSLC - How has fireblight detection through the Kootenay bag been for you? Here in Colorado, that would be one of the risks.

All - is the consensus on mesh bags that the nylon ones, despite being a bit more cumbersome to work with, are better than the traditional organza bag material? I have a few small ones. It would be nice if they used a similar ribbon closure.

Has anyone tried getting an undesirable odor (garlic, cayenne, peppermint) to ‘stick’ to the slipper nylon bags for rodent repellent? I understand clay (thinking Surround) and paraffin wax absorbs these odors.

I used to use a Kootanay tree cover. Not good for a humid area in the east coast. It works well in a dry climate like Utah.

I have used these 4 types of bags every year.

Top left- a ziplock plastic sandwich bag for apples. When I used them on pears, my pears got russeted.

Top right -a Clemson (or any brand) paper bag for peaches/nectarines. Need to learn how to apply it. Not easy. I have reused them for a couple of years.

Lower left - organza bags - for figs. I used to use smaller size ones for peaches and plums but found that pests like plum curculio have laid eggs through the bags (when bags tough the fruit due to it’s flimsy material).
Lower right - a nylon bag. Bugs cannot lay egg though this material but it is difficult to close it tightly. If it is not close tightly, bugs can crawl in through the opening. Come only a large size, too big and too expensive for plums. Near Impossible to bag peaches with it. I use it on pears, sometimes.

The rodents you need to worry about are squirrels, raccoons, opossums. Cayenne, peppermint and garlic don’t stop them.

2 Likes