Re-Using Zip Lock Apple Bags

Apple baggers: do you re-use your zip lock bags from one year to the next? I ruin a lot of bags trying to open them up to remove ripe apple. Is there a trick? I also wonder how well they seal in year two?

2 Likes

I save and re-use the good ones. I doubt they’d last anything like ten years, tho

3 Likes

@ltilton How do you pry apart the seal without destroying the bag?

1 Like

If you cut a small slit in the middle of the bag’s locking system, it will be easierto pry a bag apart. This slit is for a fruit stem and it makes a bag lock tightly.

I have found tha after a year, the locking system does not work as well. Two year use is all I can handle. It took me much longer to ziplong last year’s bags for that reason.

Also, several bags disintegrated in two years in the sun.

1 Like

I’ve been grabbing the sides of the bag and pulling them apart. Half the time the bag rips away from the zipper. Need a better technique. I do cut the slit in the middle.

2 Likes

I’m a one year user. You could probably save some in usable condition for next year but I like to start over with clean bags.

1 Like

I separate and put my two forefingers down inside, with the two thunmbs outside, on each corner to grap and pull apart the two sides from above. Do the same thing with the other corner. It comes off easily for me because my fingers are not big. The zipper of some bags from the dollar store doesn’t close well again after sitting under the hot sun, so even if it looks perfect please try to see if it works before cleaning and saving them. For the bags with the torn zipper, I reuse them with the stappler one more time, and then throw them away. I wipe the bags I want to save with a wet towel and let them air dry before putting them away. It takes time so I only do it when I want to relax. It is tough to throw away all the plastics, knowing how bad it is for the next generation, so I try to reuse as much as I can.
I hope this helps. Take care.

Edit
When the bag is low so you can look down on the top, you can use any fingers combination to open the zipper from a corner as usual. When the bag is high, I have to reach up but can’t see much, open it with the forefingers inside like described above put less strain on the shoulders.

2 Likes

I save the decent bags. They are not as easy as new bags to apply in spring, though. Three years is about max. They get brittle in the sun. I punch the zipper with a paper punch for a spot for the stem. I just open them like any other ziplock.

1 Like

Haha, I didn’t have that choice! The Raccoons used the bags as handy carrying cases for all the apples. They were gone in 2 nights.

2 Likes

It opens at the stem. If it tears, of course I discard it.

I like reusing the bags because the slits at the bottom are already cut. But only the clean, sound bags.

2 Likes