Really strange plant

I have a Frankenplant volunteer. I have no idea what this might be. I thought it might be a native squash or Melon, but I don’t think so. It has dozens of elf-slipper shaped fruit that approach 12" long. The leaves are sticky. It has an incredibly strong odor, sweet and cloying, easily detected 30-40 feet away. Any guesses?

Sorry, the elf-slippers aren’t super clear. Anyway. Very odd plant.

Here’s another, perhaps a little more clear. A smaller elf-slipper.

It looks like it might be a gourd to me. I grew a new guinea butter vine aka cucuzzi that has similarities. It’s not the same plant but looks like it’s the same family. Italian Edible Gourd Seeds - Bing

Gardenia. I’m wrong I was quick with the finger.

Definitely possible. Not needing to remove it anytime soon, I’ll let it go. I’m certain it’s some sort of squash or now guard. On the plus side, the herd of deer that eat everything steer clear.

It could definitely be a squash and I even considered egg plant. It looks reminiscent of something I have seen before that I can’t put my finger on. The blooms are what are throwing me off because those are different from gourd, egg plant or squash.

devil’s claw, interesting ornamental and i guess immature pods are edible, but I haven’t tried them. The mature pods are so annoying, stopped growing it.

3 Likes

That plant is a new one to me http://anniesbacktoedengarden.com/devilsclaw.htm .

1 Like

Well, that’s really unexpected. Doing the tiniest bit of research, Devils Claw tubers and roots have herbal anti-inflammatory properties among others. Not sure I’m really excited to keep it around. The fruits turn into something somewhat Predator-ish. Under normal cultivation, it’s a big plant that would take a lot of space. In my case, it’s a septic drainage field that I’m planning to convert to a wildflower meadow. For now, it’s not hurting anything, but I’d hate for it to become permanent.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for chiming-in. Devils Claw…I said it was a really strange plant!!

1 Like

Funny this came up today my wife was just checking to make sure ours isn’t getting too “ripe” to try and pickle. In this area they are very common and a nuisance but you never know, pickled Devils claw might be a hit.

2 Likes