Red clapps favorite pear

Maybe they are selling red clapps favorite, but the picture doesn’t look entirely like red clapps to me. It looks more like my red bartlett/williams…but I could be totally wrong! My red clapps once ripe has a fairly uniformly bright red with no striping…almost like it was painted…but I don’t have any pics of them earlier. Another thing to search on would be starkrimson.

https://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/fruit-trees/pear/early-season-eating-pear/starkrimson-pear

2 Likes

Snowflake,you’ve got me hooked! I spent a good hour on line looking for any Clapps Red I could find here. What I have found misleading here is the descriptions. It is a pear called Clapps Favorite, but some call it clapps Favorite Red. Some are described with a blush and some more red. Not like your red. I might have to forgo my dream of Clapps Red and buy a good tasting Red pear of a different variety. Big question. . . Does it need a pollinator, if the answer is no I’ll be grafting.

2 Likes

@clarkinks
Clapps red is just a sport off Clapps Favorite (which looks like it can get a blush). Clapps red definitely gets a very bright red. I don’t have Clapps Favorite so I can’t comment on the difference. Clark said that Clapps favorite is really worth it. Perhaps they might taste almost the same? Looks like Clapps favorite needs a pollinator. Clark said that Clapps favorite can take quite a while to fruit for the first time!

2 Likes

What is interesting is that here they will sell you fruit trees of any age. I bought my first six trees that were each five years old. So this year I have Mirabelles de Nancy (just picked today) and Peches: Grosse Mignonne. My apples are not the right pollinating partners. So I have a problem. It will be fixed next spring. I am replacing one apple with an espaliered pear and the other with a montmorency cherry. Should be pretty. And taste great! I miss my huge Montmorency.

3 Likes