Refractometers

I’ve seen plenty of discussions regarding other garden tools, but I don’t recall seeing anything about refractometers.

Is there a preferred type or variety out there? Are any of them considered the gold standard? I’ve searched Amazon a few times but there are a million results and I’m not really sure what I’m looking for.

The cheap ones work great. I wish I got one that went higher than 30, never thought my fruit would be as sweet as it is.

This one for $22 would fit the bill:

http://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-Automatic-Temperature-Compensating-Refractometer/dp/B002ISDQ0S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444867392&sr=8-2&keywords=brix+meter

I second Murky’s suggestion. I bought one (same one) on ebay, same price, included shipping. Works like a charm.

Fruitnut recommended this one, and I like it. But I don’t see much difference between it and the one already suggested other than price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H7ILCW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

I bet they are identical, made in the same factory.

I thought it was strange that all the ones I found only went up to 32. I was curious if that’s done kind of hard limit using this testing method or if that’s just how all the cheap ones are designed.

I don’t know the answer to your question. But I can extrapolate mine to 35. Not many things with juice get higher than that. And in my experience things above 32 often develop off flavors from excessive water deficit. So if it’s off scale and “off” taste I think I’ve got the answer.

I’m guessing it is only linear over a certain area, and trying to increase the range would sacrifice accuracy or precision.

BTW, I think mine is marked with lines up to 32 also, probably the same as the one pictured. Just the last printed number is 30. So my gage type plum was probably around 34 brix.

umm 32+ Brix :heart_eyes:

that’s a lot of potential alcohol, uh I mean sugar. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They have higher scale models on ebay, but many reviewers indicated that the scale was so tiny it made accurate readings difficult. I definitely can see where that could be an issue.