Request help to ID Persimmon variety

Hi Chris,
After seeing the differences in climate data between NW Arkansas, where persimmons ripen readily before winter, and our region, I think your idea for a spring & fall greenhouse cover may actually be a viable one. Bobs temps near Fayetteville are in the 70’s during October! That’s a huge advantage. I can tell you that we take our tomatoes plants out to our greenhouse to grow several months before night temps are above 50 in our garden, so now I will attempt to design such a shelter for my tree here that can withstand the strong winds for a trial run.

What remarkable differences in appearance for each person’s Giombo . IMG_0455
Fayetteville temps look delightful.
I’m trying Hoshigaki in ghouse. Temp 45-60, humidity 50-60%, fan.
Hope that’s something like under eaves in Japan. It’s only been 2 days…nothing rotting yet!

3 Likes

Hi Chris
Two weeks ago I bought some Hachiya fruit from local vendor. It was not ripe, tried one, very astringent. So I placed about half of them in a brown paper bag with a ripening banana and banana peels from over ripened bananas a week ago. This morning I tried one of the softest ones which had lost all astringency and had softened indicating ripe. It was very delicious. I also included several of my neighbors unknown variety but they have not yet ripened.
Dennis

1 Like

Good to know! I picked a few Saijo and put in bag with banana and peel to try out.
My experiment with Hoshigaki has worked out too. Even after 1 week the definitely underripe, hard, Saijos had become slightly soft, sweet, and totally non-astringent. That makes me think that slicing and drying them in a dehydrator till they lose a little moisture, but do not become ‘storage tried’, might work too.
No hard freezes here, so the fruit is still hanging on the tree. Good until squirrels launch an attack.

Hi, I have this persimmon tree now for 8 years and i don’t know what variety is this persimmon.
I have bought small grafted plant as kaki (persimmon) and i don’t know variety.
Variety is good, every year i have lots of fruits and biggest fruit was about 460 grams.
Does someone know which variety my persimmon could be?.
Thanks.

1 Like

What an excellent video and translation! The lobed shapes at top of tree are unusual - maybe due to incomplete pollination at start of your season? What are the temperature ranges (celsius) in your zone 7?

1 Like

Just tried overnight dehydrator drying (at temp 115F) of sliced, half-ripe, astringent Saijo and it definitely does NOT remove astringency. Interesting that hanging hard, not-ripe, hoshigati-style (at temp 55F), even for only 1 week, does remove astringency. Now will slice and freeze the half-dried hoshigati (since total drying would take 5-6 weeks) to see if they will thaw and maintain consistency.

We had few last winters very mild, earlier normal winter temperature was about -15°C -18°C and last winter 2019 we had snow only one month and low temperatures was about -12°C.

1 Like

I’m following this. When I try an astringent persimmon too early, I throw it in the trash. It would be nice to know a recovery process.

Hi
I read online about how “ Bananas make other fruit ripen because they release a gas called ethene (formerly ethylene )," added Dr Bebber. "This gas causes ripening , or softening of fruit by the breakdown of cell walls, conversion of starches to sugars and the disappearance of acids”.
So I tried it and am pleased to say about a week does the trick
Dennis

1 Like