Richard's Fig Database

This is a long-term project that can’t ever be completed because new fig varieties are introduced every year :slight_smile:.

At present I’m assimilating trait data but later will move on to other aspects including genetic relationships derived from whole chromatin DNA.

Here is a link to the data file which I’ve changed to TSV format for broader compatibility. You’ll likely want to adjust the column widths.

Richard’s Fig Database.tsv

The version date is near the top of the file. Not all updates are announced.

11 Likes

I have not looked into fig genetics so take this as first thoughts without much preparation.

Are there ploidy differences in fig? If so, it would be handy to have a reference showing diploid, tetraploid, etc.

It would be very useful to have a regional adapatation column since some figs are very long season and others make multiple crops per year.

What about ways used? Some figs are only good dried. Others are best eaten fresh.

Then there is the question of flavor. Maybe a column for “highly recommended” would be appropriate.

1 Like

Both F. carica and F. palmata are diploids.

See the legend for Types

Yes, that would be interesting

That depends an individual’s taste in figs. Ira Condit was famous in that regard.

Keepers appear in the Collections column.

Thanks for your input!

1 Like

@Richard Are you actively growing all these varieties or only testing?

I moved the data into Excel where I could manipulate it. Please consider putting “keepers” in a separate column. Why? Because there are two disparate pieces of information in the same column. It is always preferable to have a single data type per column as it avoids complications when sorting or arranging the data. This would also enable you to add other information such as “historical”, “obsolete”, “lost”, “commercial”, etc.

side though: I really need to write a guide on data organization, management, and manipulation. Publications about data “analysis” and “mining” are so outdated now that they are actually slowing down the use and interpretation of results.

See paragraph 1:

Others reported a problem viewing the csv file directly. I’ve changed the format to tsv: Richard’s Fig Database.tsv

Done, although in my perspective it is a collection.

A database is a collection of normalized tables with a common set of keys. I have provided this database in spreadsheet format to ease the import process by others. It is not intended as a consumer end-product.

Please help me understand what you are conveying with “keepers”. To me, it means they are unusually good, perhaps among the best to be grown. I am inferring that you have most or all of them growing. Does this match your meaning?

1 Like

@Fusion_power

also:

Yes, I’d like to cull some from this list.

Tonight’s update includes

• corrections to several names and aliases
  • additions to some of the collections
  • the NCGR traits data for 125 cultivars, plus a few entries of my own

Next I plan to assimilate the traits data from Condit’s monograph, which I took a first pass at a couple years ago.

2 Likes