Roger Meyer obituary

He passed away on Nov 22.

Thats a big loss for the jujube in the US, he did more than any one else to propagate information and varieties.

undoubtedly. His namesake Frank in the 1900’s is the only other one in his league, and, of course, the unnamed hybrid jujube breeders at USDA’s Chico, CA field station.

Will miss him, he was a champion for the small grower and tireless in his dissemination of knowledge, attending CRFG meetings far from his home.

I called him up a couple years ago when I was in Irvine, asked if I could see his place. He said sure, anytime, and I stopped by the next day. He spent a couple hours showing me his various exotic plants. Yard and patio covered with small pots w plants. Had many great stories of his trips. Great guy. Seemed in good health then.

1 Like

When I read news like this, it always makes me think about what happens to all the plants that were left behind. I always wonder if there is someone who will care for the plants with the same care and commitment. Certainly it’s sad whenever anyone passes, but it also makes me sad to think about all the time, care, and passion they put into something they loved, and now it’s been left uncared for.

Thought someone might like to see a Roger Meyer video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2vH-xVN_bk. Thankfully I got about half a dozen better seedlings from a friend this year that I will graft some branches of in the next year or two. The seedlings I had died back to the ground every year. No doubt none of us would know what a jujube was had it not been for Roger Meyer. Roger also published a book Jujube Primer & Source Book - Roger Meyer, Robert R. Chambers - Google Books. I will keep some of the seedlings I’m growing as sour jujube seedlings because the seeds are viable. There is no longer a good source of rootstock so good seedlings are valuable.The small fruited sour jujube rootstock trees were traditionally used for medicine which I enjoy the fruit from fresh.

2 Likes