Root and list veggies disappear from the beds

I had full 12’X3’ bed of beets on the stage of 2 true leaves. I was busy and didn’t look at them for a while. We had enough rain and they didn’t need much attention. Today I hardly can find may be 15 of them growing. The rest is gone. Same things with spinach, mustard greens, lettuces and turnips. Turnips I actually saw wilted and when I pull it, I can see there is no tap root bellow already thickening top root part. All beds are covered with nets, so not rabbit access. Cut worms usually cut above the grown and plants fall over - didn’t notice anything like this as well. If it is dumping off(somewhat late stage for that?) I would expect to see a blackened root, but it just not there. Any ideas?

1 Like

voles perhaps? I’ve also seen a lot of damage caused by symphyllids which might explain your missing veggies.

1 Like

I will dig a bit today, looking for voles’ holes. Soil looks undisturbed, but it mulched with finely shredded leaves, so holes may be not visible. If it is symphyllids - any help with them? I am thinking to build large container and use soil-less mix. But my beets will become most expensive beets in universe…

1 Like

wireworm is my guess, was a lot here this year, i m going to guess they replicated more than usual in last years draught… they are funny bastards they pull the plant under ground and they eat it. or just below the surface. if you see a dying/dead plant dig it up and if you find a orange worm within a few inches that is your culprit.

Also snails did a number on the garden sprouts this year with our wet spring. could also be the problem, but youll see them sliming around so no surprises there.

3 Likes

I know wire worms very well, but I do not see many.

plant extra and transplant into missing spots as well as replant the beds… wireworms like mulch because they can go to the surface more, i even have found them eating old fruit. once it gets warm the go deeper in the soil and arent a issue afaik.

The last loss. No voles though

Yes, I am thinking to start more in pots and transplant .

1 Like

i lost 30 ish baby tomatoes in greenhouse from wireworms and maybe 60 beans to snails so far this year… Just keep replanting…

OK, I inspected the beds closely. Both beets and salad greens are affected badly. Who ever it is, it likes beets, turnips, mustard, spinach, from weeds - goose-foot. It ignores cilantro, baby crab grass, and some other weeds I do not know the name for. I inspected the soil in the row where couple plants were just killed - didn’t dry out yet. On a depth of 6 inches - not a single creature. The root is cut on a dept of half inch or so, the thickening part of the root in turnips is never affected, just tap root, so I doubt it is wire worms, in my experience they prefer thick roots. Both beds are former lawn with added compost. I saw a lot of grabs when I dug it, killed what I saw, but I do not see any now.
Until I figure out what it is, I don’t think it makes any sense to plant anything in those beds. Back to containers… Sigh.

I vote groundhog.

Nope, they are covered with net on all sides, top including, no access. And no groundhog holes inside

What about mole cricket? Do you have it in your region/area?

1 Like

Never heard of it, let me google

Similar problem here. YARD BEAVERS.
Rabbits or moles? 1 inch diamond fencing did no good.
100 feet ofhalf inch square fence $100.00 no more beavers, in that section.

1 Like

Here is some update. I dug sample holes around just consumed plants. Here is what I found.

Hole 1 - 1 ’ diameter, 1’ deep. Soil quickly moved to the tub and then spread on the landscape fabric by hands. Findings: 3 earthworms, few ants and 3 grubs.
Hole 2 and 3 - 1/2’ diameter, 1/2’ deep - nothing visibly alive.
Wire worms are moving up and down, not side-wise, and should be now according to the data I found on extension site reside in the top 6 inches of soil that is still cool. So I do not think wire worm is a reason.
I think earthworms and ants could be excluded. Garden Symphylans are possible, but I didn’t find a single one. So what we have left - grubs. As grubs mostly considered lawn problem, I can’t find much info about them for the garden. I know they can feed on roots. What I don’t know is when they feed - day or night, how deep they go when the do not feed and can they move in the soil horizontally.