Rooted rootstock vs. Tissue cultured

Our local grower at one time years ago rooted softwood cuttings off rootstock trees he kept and used that for his rootstock to graft to. We have several trees of his from that time. At some point a few years ago he was able to get the same rootstock from one of the big tissue culture propigatigators and used those instead. We also have trees of his from that time period. Same rootstock, one rooted one tissue culture. We have seen a HUGE difference in vigor between the two. The tissue cultured rootstock has many times the vigor that the rooted rootstock has.

Does rooted rootstock lack a taproot that would otherwise be present if from tissue culture or seedling?

No. Clonal rootstocks are produced by stooling, which is essentially layering… a rooted cutting is a rooted cutting.
But…the possibility is that his original rootstocks or the ones he got from the ‘big’ propagators are NOT the same clone.

Im sorry guys, im using the wrong terminology. Let me correct the original post… WHen I said clonal I meant tissue cultured. Brain fart.

I read that tissue culturing can be used in some cases to remove virus infection. If rootstock is virus infected, it might lead to more failure and less vigorous trees. Virus - free rootstock is considered superior.

Then again, with modern propagating, maybe almost all scion is virus infected anyway. I don’t now, but it might be part of the difference between rootstocks of the same name.

I’m just speculating.

1 Like

I just ordered 4 figs from Florida Hill Nusery that I posted in the fig thread and they were listed as virus free tissue cultured figs. Maybe they are better than cuttings but it sounds like they are very small.

Are they possibly some of the AgriStarts Fig TC’s?

It’s pretty likely. Those are all the same varieties listed on the Florida Hill site. Are those good?

I recommend you taste them before you buy.

Probably not possible. I’ve never seen a fresh fig sold here in my entire life. And apparently they don’t ship well.

When I asked if they were any good I was referring to the Agristart Figs you linked to. Not necessarily the vatiety. Are they high quality? Are they better or worse than the same variety grown from cutting?

I’ve bought the Strawberry Verte fig because it was held in such high regard by people I trust here. The others were simply guesses based on the amount of chatter they get. LSU Purple was one variety and Desert King because it may provide an early Breba crop here in the east coast.

You’re very silly. Find the fruit growing clubs in your region – possibly through members here and then sample fruit from their trees. :wink:

I’ve never had any problems with plant quality from Agristarts – although my experience is limited to edibles. ALSO: they are wholesale only. Somehow I don’t think you need 72 of the same variety. :laughing:

Yes I probably should be more proactive about tracking down people in my local area. There are some farmers markets that might be a good place to start. I really think the amount of people around here growing figs are practically none. I’ve never seen or heard of anyone here growing them. In fact, I get a lot of weird looks from my friends and co-workers when I tell them I’m going to grow figs. I’m trying it anyway because the one fresh fig I’ve ever eaten was delicious. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, that it were so easy for everyone. There are areas of the country where one would have to drive a great distance to participate in such a club.

Hmm … if you are in such a region then it would be beneficial to start one! A number of parent organizations would help you out, for example NAFEX in the midwest.