Rootstock for Grafting Class

I am in the process of helping to organize a beginning grafting class. I would like some input on selecting the best rootstock. Here are some guidelines:

1. Apple rootstock only - this is a beginning class and we will be focusing on apples only at this point. If we have enough interest, we may add more next year.
  2. Zone 5-6 compatible - I live in West Virginia and the weather can be brutal at times.
  3. Semi-dwarf
  4. Ability to handle clay or heavy soil
  5. Disease resistance is a plus but not a requirement.

Please let me know what rootstock you would recommend and the reason behind it. Please also list any rootstock you would avoid.

Any input is greatly appreciated. :blush:

Molly F.

M111, it might be considered “semi - standard” by some. Personally I dont get hung up too much on the “semi-dwarf” vs “semi standard”. Fits the bill otherwise for you.

1 Like

I think @TurkeyCreekTrees gave some great advice with 111. This link offers some comparisons http://ipm.missouri.edu/MEG/2011/2/Why-Apple-Rootstocks/ and to help answer why there are new rootstocks www.ctl.cornell.edu/plants/GENEVA-Apple-Rootstocks-Comparison-Chart.pdf

That is some great information. Thank you both for your input. My job just became a lot easier.

1 Like