Rootstock recommendation Apple with FireBlight reistance

I’ve had M7 in clay for 30+ years, you say it should get collar rot? I thought MM106 did that, not M7 or MM111.

This shows my soil pretty good. That is a borderless raised brd I made 20 years ago… it is 10 ft wide x 40 ft long. I do my veggie gardening in that one.

I broke up a huge area with tractor and disk… and then used a box blade to scrape all the good top soil up into 3 borderless raised beds.

The other two… I used to grow veggies in
… but have now converted to permaculture… fruit trees berry bushes…

That good top soil in that bed is still a good 10-12 inch deep… where originally was more like 4.

1 Like

You might inquire NC State University on G890 and see if there are trials of it? I’m thinking UT has no such program.

My 3 year olds don’t have any idea yet…except that they aren’t going to bloom the second year and so far not sure about any the third year. (B118 is going to have a bloom or a couple on 3 year trees).

My 2 yr Gold Rush had 4 bloom clusters last spring on M7.

Akane and HGG did not bloom… but I bet they will all bloom nicely this year… they grew a lot last year.

1 Like

I’ve got HGG on G41 4 years old and no blooms. On G30 I think? No blooms yet.
The only M7 I ever got blooms second year maybe Liberty of Compspur Arkblack…mostly 4th year., some 5. (Still quicker than M111)

Good looking dirt…but you’ve probably been adding some organic matter from time to time over the seasons.

That’s right @BlueBerry … took out a truckload of rocks… and added a bunch of homemade compost over the years.

In my new orchard… other than making borderless raised beds like that… I have a farmer friend at church… that has assured me several truck loads of aged manure delivered at a reasonable price.

He has hundreds of cattle sheep goats chickens rabbits hogs…

1 Like

This is a pic of a new borderless raised bed I created last (late spring) for raspberry props.
Again I only broke that up 4-5 inches deep … (lots of organic matter in the first 4-5 inch, grass roots, etc)
Loaded it up with compost and raked it up into a borderless raised bed. Have some raspberries in it now grew very well last summer and fall.

So that is what first broke dirt in my field looks like. Not hardly as nice as my older veggie bed but not bad either.

This video shows my food forest bed 4x90 when I first built it. My 3 new apple trees are growing in that, plus peach, che, jujube, apricot, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries goumi, etc…

If you are determined… you can work with 4-5 inches of good dirt and grow stuff.

1 Like

@BlueBerry - I will own my Hudson Golden Gem… at least one more year.

We are going to build a new home… got to clear some trees first, build a new home, then move into it… Then we will sell our current home.

I hope my HGG produces a few apples this year… sounds like yours have taken longer… so I may not get any either… I will let you know if I do get blooms or fruit set this spring.

Thanks, I missed this post yesterday for some reason.

Pretty much I have those charts memorized…

…I have some B-10 and a bunch of B118 coming in March this year.