Rootstocks & Bloom Timing

I recently obtained some peppermint peach tree scions and am wondering if rootstocks play a role in when the tree starts opening it’s flower buds? The peppermint variety is ornamental only and doesnt produce fruit (or when it does it’s not edible, so I’ve read). I live in an area that gets unpredictable frosts sometimes into May. This brings me concern as research I’ve done has indicated this is an early March bloomer. Forigve if this is a novice question as I’m new to all of this. My thought process is if I graft onto a rootstock that is a later bloomer, will the scion follow suit? If not, I think I’ll graft them onto to dwarf rootstocks and keep them potted so I can bring them in should a cold snap move through during blooming.

1 Like

According to WSU, “The variety selected for the rootstock determines tree size, precocity, some disease resistance (such as fireblight) and even cold hardiness”

There’s also a thread here: https://growingfruit.org/t/will-root-stock-alter-blooming-time

Personally, I also found that colder places with less light during winter has an effect on plant dormancy as well. I.e., a tree planted on north-facing slope wakes up later than a tree planted on a south facing slope. Trees under more shade in winter through other means (i.e. planted on north side of a tall structures) should have similar effect as well. But this might be like an extra week or two of difference.

Yes!! Im noticing the same thing at this exact moment (well this Spring anyway). Microclimates make a big difference. I have the same type of crab apple on the north side and south sides of the house. The north side one’s roots are shaded by the house and only gets sunlight at a certain point (on the ground). This showtime crab wakes up conserderably later than the showtime on the south side of the house that is getting rays all year.

In my research after posting this I found a study that indicated rootstock has little if any determination in when the tree wakes up. It’s all in the environment and what signals those cells are receiving!

1 Like