Rosseyanka persimmon late to wake up

I don’t see why not. I am planning to add a branch of Kassandra on my above Hybrid tree. It will be the Ultimate Hybrids persimmon tree for me without the tiresome Winter protection each year in Zone 5.

Tony

2 Likes

Taste would be the first thing. It has a very rich, very full and compelling flavor. And second is its cold hardiness. Not all hybrids are really hardy enough for zone six, at least not without protecting for several years until they size up. JT-02 seems to make the cut.

Tony, did you once say that Kassandra suffered winter die-back for you? Would you mind re-telling the specifics? Thanks.

1 Like

2 years ago, I bought a large Kassandra from Cliff. I took a dormant scion from that tree and bark grafted to a 3 years old D.V. it grew 4 feet tall in the open field with no micro climate protection and I tested it out without Winter protection and the whole 4 feet graft died with a -12F for one night. The large Kassandra from Cliff survived with winter protection. I wrapped it up with a tarp and stuffed it with dried leaves and grass. The JT-02 on the Multi grafted tree survived without any protection. Even the smallest branch made it. I plan to bark graft the Kasandra to that multi grafted tree about 8 feet from the South side of my house with the micro climate protection.
I probably will Winter protected it for one season to harden the bark.

Tony

2 Likes

My Izu persimmon had planted for over 15 month . Still not wake up to leaf out yet.

Vincent, it’s alive right (green tissue under the bark?)

It’ll likely leaf out in the next two weeks if it’s alive. If July comes I wouldn’t have much hope. Mid-July it’s all over with.

Dax

1 Like

I think it is still alive Dax. You right but its root system is too small to give enough food for the whole big tree to leaf out yet. I am very patience to wait for a couple more months. Today I saw a couple very small green buds like a rice seed hopefully time to leaf out has started now. Thank you Dax. Let’s take a look of pictures after I zoom a lot bigger below.

1 Like

You’re good to go. While the entire tree may not leaf out, you have buds forming where current buds are and you have adventitious buds forming it appears on your last photo.

A bit of pruning may be necessary later to remove any wood that never produced shoots, however, your tree will succeed.

Best regards,

Dax

1 Like

Thank you so much to all of you to share and gave me all opinions to help my tree. I will updating here in next few week for a good news. Best regard. Vincent.

1 Like