Sanitizing grafting gear in the time of Coronavirus

I have a lot of grafting to do this year with scions from many sources, so I’d like to keep things as sanitary as possible. I usually use 70% isopropyl alcohol (and do have a decent stock left) but it feels a bit odd to use considering the massive shortage in my area since Coronavirus hit. Any other suggestions? I do have a lot of undrinkable cheap vodka I was planning to use to sanitize future cider project gear that I could sacrifice, if it would be effective. I’ve also recently seen hydrogen peroxide suggested, but I know it can damage biological tissues, and wonder if it might not be the best for delicate scions. My research indicates that bleach appears to be bad for plant health. Anything else I’d have to purchase but I’d love suggestions!

1 Like

I haven’t done any research on it,but was watching a local news show,when the gardening segment came on,with some call in questions.One viewer asked,what to use to sterilize pruners and he answered,Lysol,without any hesitancy.bb

Lysol, Pinesol, copper.

Most any anti-bacterial household cleaners, excluding bleach which promotes corrosion of your tools.

2 Likes

Vodka generally is not high enough proof for serious sanitizing.
I like isopropyl alcohol better than anything else since is evaporates very quickly.
I use the 91% stuff myself.
You could also build a still and make high proof ethanol. For sanitizing purposes this is actually pretty easy since you don’t really have to worry about making mistakes.

1 Like

Bicardi 151 would also work (75.5%) Everclear will work too if sold in your state

I use isopropyl alcohol.

1 Like

This is a great excuse to get a still set up! I’ve always wanted to do that anyway. But 151 is probably a good idea. Most other cleaners are also flying off the shelves.

Yes, I do too, but I can’t currently. If you live somewhere not affected by the pandemic yet I’d recommend stocking up.

2 Likes

Fire!