Saskatoon 2nd bloom this year

Anyone know about this? For some reason, this year I’m getting blooms again on one of my saskatoons.

3 Likes

Hey Rob! When did it bloom the first time? Did it bear any fruit then?

I’m not familiar with them, but aren’t they like a honeyberry? Is it in any stress? Sometimes a plant will start blooming if it’s about to croak.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe it briefly went dormant during a cold spell and is waking up again. But, being that it probably requires a lot of chill hours (being cultivated in cold climes, like Canada), maybe that doesn’t apply here.

Nothing seems different about it except a 2nd bloom. The first was in the spring and berries came as usual in June. Weird!

2 Likes

I’ve had a few stone fruit and maybe a Pear bloom,late in the season,but not quite that many flowers.Unsure of the reason and it’s probably fairly common.bb

I’ve had a pear do that before, and was told to prune them or, if I recall, there’s a danger of fb. I have grown various varieties of saskatoons for over 5 years now, and have never seen this before. It looks like I’m getting more berries.

1 Like

Here ya go… Juneberries in September!

6 Likes