Save or replace these avocado trees?

Its hard clay soil for sure but drainage is good. I did do the water drainage test after the hole was dug. You could be right, may be the clay. If anything I would say its under watered not over watered.

If it lives :frowning: , its a 3 in 1 avocado planting (Little Cado + Holiday + Fuerte) for cross pollination and year round avocados.

I’ll put back the chopsticks or add a taller cage to keep the dogs out. I do know soil has issues - high ph, low nitrogen, low iron. Will wait for the soil test results before adding any amendments.

Will give it 6 more months to see if I can rescue it. If it doesn’t get better in 6 months I’ll pull it out.

Our soil is clay also and we planted on a mound last year. The tree is still young but has doubled in size and seems happy.

1 Like

I agree. At least get a variety that fruits at a different time than your neighbors tree if you are going to grow one. I always told friends in CA never to plant a persimmon or a lemon because there are usually trees in the neighborhood overloaded with fruit might as well hook up with your neighbors for those. Same can be said if a large avocado or orange is nearby it will be too much fruit for the owner.

1 Like

Thanks all!

Soil tests will be back early next week. May have to pull the plug on this one - but will wait until the results come back.

1 Like