Seed grown thornless periclinal chimera

I have a thornless youngberry, it is delicious. It is not genetically thornless, and throws the occasional thorny cane. The thornless plants are slowly taking over my yard, but the thorny canes are far too vigorous for me to control. I have been lucky to notice thorny canes early and have been able to remove them. I adore the berries, but am about to remove my plants as the risk of having my yard overtaken by thorny canes is too high.

Some seedlings have popped up in my yard, they have all been very thorny. This got me thinking. If I grow out a lot of seeds of a periclinal thornless plant, is there a chance that any seedlings will be genetically thornless?

The plants will likely be self pollinated. There are feral blackberries not too far from here that may offer pollen, but my periclinal thornless plants produced a tremendous number of flowers so most would have self pollinated.

If this is possible to get a genetically thornless plant as a seedling from a periclinal thornless, I am happy to play the numbers game and grow out a tray of them, and cull everything with thorns. If it is not possible then I won’t bother.

It is berry season now, and I am planning on removing my youngberry plants at the end of berry season, so I am keen to hear people’s thoughts.

1 Like

The thornless tissue is probably not part of the seeds. It would be good to find someone with a tissue culturing set up to propagate it from very small amounts of the thornless tissue to produce plants that no longer are chimeras with the thorny tissue parts.

3 Likes

Thornless youngberry is produced by chemical treatment of the roots. It notoriously reverts in the third generation of rhizomes, sometimes sooner.

3 Likes