Seed saver best methods

I ordered a couple of different types of vegetable seeds and both were in a smaller version of ziplock bags. Is the ziplock a good way to save seed from one year to the next or is it just for shipping. Before I have stored the seed in a paper type envelope. How do you store your seed? How many years can you save seed? Will the seed last longer if they are frozen or refrigerated? Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

I only can answer few of your questions based on my experience.
I store seeds in the paper envelopes placed in the tight wooden box in refrigerator. The refrigerated seeds store longer. The shelf life depends on the seed type - Cucurbits store for 5+ years, longer if refrigerated. Root parsley seeds will only come up at 30% rate on a year two even after the best storage condition.

1 Like

Johnny’s Seeds has a nice little pamphlet that answers all these questions: Growing Garden Seeds - Rob Johnston, Jr. | Johnny's Selected Seeds

@Auburn

3 Likes

Thanks

Thank you

I suspect it’s real simple…the plastic is cheaper than the paper at the time of purchase.
But I could be mistaken.

1 Like

I have been storing seeds in the ziploc bags for 12 years No problems yet.

1 Like

My seeds that I collect in the garden are kept in plastic sandwich bags after being dried and the bought seeds are kept in their seed envelope. They are then put in an air tight container and set in the freezer. I’ve never had any problems doing it this way.

3 Likes

I store my seeds in paper envelopes, but in sealable plastic storage containers. I usually add some desiccant to keep the humidity low and store all the containers in an area that has a cooler (60 to 70F-ish) consistent temperature, in the dark. I’m not a fan of storing in plastic bags, but I don’t remember why anymore! My seeds last a long time: peppers/tomatoes 5-6+ years, others slightly less. Onions I usually buy new each year and lettuce is normally 2 years.

1 Like