Seed starting - whats your tried and true method? (Share your results!)

@dimitri_7a - Makes sense. Thanks.

Not sure this is helping my plants along…
Found him sleeping in the peppers. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Is this the dreaded fungus gnat? Saw a few today while starting some new pepper seed.

I found a recommendation from @Drew51 to mix 1 Tbs H2O2 per gal water and spray. That sound right? Anything else I should do? I am seeing a few more as I type this, they must have hatched very recently.

I think I said that but found you need more. 1/4 to 1/2 cup in a gallon. It won’t hurt the plant. But it may work only on larvae not the gnats? They are a pain, and can spread disease.Water your plants with it too.
Maybe use horticultural soap or make some, or oil too.

I’m now using Mosquito bits or donuts which contain a BT strain of bacteria. I need it for rainwater anyway. I use rainwater all year and just treat the rainwater.
I have had white fly around this year too, outside at least!

The most danger is the larvae which can eat roots, so the peroxide alone should stop more. I wonder sometimes about the quality and shelf life of peroxide. As it has worked, but other times has not. Use some in all watering water at this point. Start with 1/4 cup and if no improvement double it.

OK this article says to use more 1 cup to 3 cups water.

Another confirming ratio, no wonder it didn’t work for me at times! Duh!

Wow that is a lot more than I thought, I am glad I checked with you. Thanks for the articles, I will read them next. I appreciate your advice and past perspective on H2O2 use . :smiley:

Ive had really good success with those yellow sticky trap sheets. I buy them in the 6x8" size and cut them down to the size I need. Basically put them out as soon as you see the gnats somewhere near the pots.

Great tip, thanks @dimitri_7a!

You can try adding a small circulation fan to dry the mix faster and make it harder for fungus gnats to fly around freely. It will also make the stems and leaves stronger.

Thank you @hoosierbanana. I do have a fan set up, but I didn’t want to leave it on 24/7. I often forget to turn it back on. :roll_eyes:

Quite a few of the tomatoes I started developed these spots or yellowing areas in the leaves about a week or two before I planted them outside. I tried to remove leaves as I saw the spots appear. They got sprayed with fungicide when I planted them.
Here they are now, still looking tough, What is causing this?

I was putting them outside on the porch everyday so they got acclimated to sun and wind. At first I thought the yellowing was because I needed to fertilize more frequently. Could this be blight type disease already? I thought that was soil-borne.

Here are a few still in pots. I don’t want to give any more away if this isn’t curable.