Seeking advice on grafting persimmons

Hi,
A little while ago I purchased a 10 gallon Jiro persimmon tree. It is around 7 feet tall (including pot)

It has several branches all the way up the tree.

I was told Jiro is somewhat unreliable in my area (pacific northwest) as we have rather cool summers and Jiro doesn’t always ripen. As a consequence, I plan to graft on the existing branches with “Izu” scionwood which I have already obtained. Izu is supposedly much more reliable in our area.

I will replace some of the existing branches with Izu whip and tongue grafts: The diameters seem to match pretty well.

Is there anything problematic with this plan? The Jiro has broken dormancy has has a leaf or three on each branch. Izu scionwood is dormant.

My only experience grafting is with apples and pears where I have been successful. I’ve heard that persimmons are much more tricky.

Anything I need to be aware of?

1 Like

After care is especially important. Take off ALL new growth below the graft, religiously.

Also, I grafted Nikita’s Gift last year (successfully) and it took 2 months, almost to the day, for any growth to happen (May 26th to July 25th)

Scott

Also I grafted 4 scions and only 1 took. Of course once it did it branched out in 3 places, of which I removed all but the strongest this spring once growth began swelling

1 Like

Scott,
Did you graft directly on top of the rootstock (Lotus/Virginiana?) I plan to graft on the Jiro but let several of the Jiro branches still continue to exist essentially creating a two variety Japanese persimmon tree.

I have heard that American persimmons can branch prune but not sure if Japanese persimmons do the same.

I put in 4 grafts of Izu on my Jiro tree.
Hope they take!

1 Like

image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
image4.JPG

3 Likes

image2.JPG
image3.JPG

3 Likes

image1.JPG

3 Likes

image2.JPG

2 Likes

I did graft directly onto the rootstock. The plant was originally an Ichi Ke Kei Jiro, but a bad winter took out the variety.

Grafts look great, btw. Now just keep all the other growth under control.

Scott

1 Like

Hi and Welcome Ram. Nice to see another Pacific Northwesterner here! Best of luck with your grafts - they look good.

1 Like

How did it do?

All of them died except 1. Basically 25% success rate. Hopefully this one branch will grow well.

A far cry from my Apple/Pear/Fig/Plum where I got nearly everyone to take.

I know the mistakes I made: Didnt remove the growth from below the graft and didnt protect the graft from direct sun/dessication. Also, in hindsight a couple of scions were suspect.

I also confirmed that Jiro is unreliable in our area. All of them ripened but they tasted… well tasteless.

Sorry if it was mentioned upthread but was rootstock leafing out? I am upper midwest but here at least the main concerns for persimmon are:

Clean(ish) cuts which is hardly unique to persimmon
And
Rootstock leafing out

Drying was less an issue (i DO parafilm scions) than having an active rootstock

Yes, rootstock was leafing out. I did use parafilm on the scion but still we got some hot days.
I think the main problem might have been bad scionwood.

I probably did everything wrong with last years persimmon grafts except for covering with parafilm. I attempted three grafts and long after I thought none would take one started growing. Compared to apple grafting one out of three is not so good. I plan to add the following techniques many of you suggested.

-Graft after leafing
-Shield to help reduce drying