Seeking Arctic Frost Satsuma in WA state - budwood, rooted cuttings, or live plants

Please don’t buy into the Arctic Frost hype. It’s not worth it at all. In our 2014 freeze, my Arctic frost in Atlanta died down to the roots and never came back.
For reference, the Meyer lemon beside back then is now 8 feet tall and full of fruit this year.
Citrangequat and Yuzuquat came back and are fruiting well currently.

Just get an early Satsuma, place it on the South side next to a structure, and plan to protect.

2 Likes

Mkj ,

It seems there has been some confusion of which variety you were seeking. Unless there has been recent changes to the licensing, Artic Frost is propagated solely by Saxon Becnel and Sons Citrus Nursery . They are rooted cuttings not grafted, supposedly so if they are cold damaged severely they come back true from the root. Artic Frost was available at Lowes in south Georgia last spring. If I see them again I am going to pick one up. There are lots of citrus varieties out now with frost in the name , very easy to confuse them .

Some info on the origin here Arctic Frost satsuma mandarin hybrid named new Texas Superstar - AgriLife Today

1 Like

Frost series was propagated by the first grower by cuttings. Saxon Becnel grafts them. They are around 100 miles from here near Houston. Mandarins not the easiest to root.

I grew an arctic frost satsuma from seed which seems to be very hardy. It froze to the roots during winter storm uri, but survived without any banking or protection despite only being a 2ft tall seedling. I think seed grown plants have much better outcomes in cold snaps than grafted or rooted cuttings do.

1 Like

I’d be very happy to buy some seed from you, Joe. I am willing to wait the time for something to grow from seed and do better in its environment.

I don’t have any seeds now. The mother plant was grafted and died in winter storm Uri. I only have seedlings now which are years away from production.

If you ever had seedlings, rooted cuttings etc I’d be interested in that also. They are very hard to find otherwise

1 Like

They’re sold at pretty much every nursery and big box store in Texas. I am not sure about the legality of shipping budwood with the quarantine, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone has a potted tree that survived the storm and could send you some seeds. Fruits typically have 1-3 seeds in them from my experience.

1 Like

If you ever know of anyone with seeds, please let them know I’d be interested. marlajns@yahoo.com.
My state has no citrus restrictions whatsoever (just stone fruits and apples)

I have a Saxon-Becnel AF (LA - grafted) I purchased December last year. It produced well in a 10g pot. Fruit is the smallest of my 5 varieties, but also the tastiest. They are deep dark orange and easy to peel. I have several left and will try to save any seeds. S-B does not list them this year, but I have seen some locally. Hurricane Ida might have decimated their inventory.

1 Like

I would be very, very happy if you managed to get any seeds to share. I would gladly pay for your time, trouble, and shipping. Keep an eye out for seeds in that tasty fruit! Thank you :smiley:

Apomixis is a wonderful thing… sometimes.

2 Likes
1 Like