Sharing photos for backyard fruit presentation

Hi all,

I volunteered to put a presentation together about “Low-maintenance Backyard Fruit Growing” at Mammoth Park, Westmoreland County, PA, hosted by Forbes State Forest. I will not be receiving compensation for this presentation and am doing it to give back to the community.

I wanted to see if anyone here would be interested in letting me borrow some photos of more established fruiting trees and shrubs for my presentation. I have some great photos of a few things but there are some gaps I’d like to fill for specific species and varieties to include in my slide presentation. Obviously I would be thrilled to include photo credits for every picture I would use. If you are willing to let me use some pictures, please either send me a message or post here. Thanks guys!

Here is a list of the plants I expect to discuss which should be low maintenance (all things considered and variety dependent) in our area; Yes I know some of these are in the “wrong” category but I chose based on the habit/form they would be grown in our area:

Fruiting trees

Apple (Malus domestica)
Jujube (Zizyphus jujuba)
Mulberry (Morus alba and hybrids)
Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
Pear (Pyrus communis)
Persimmon (Diospyrus virginiana)

Fruiting bushes/ cane fruit

Aronia (Aronia melancrpa)
Blackberry (Rubus sp.)
Blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum)
Bush cherry hybrids (Prunus sp.)
Cornelian cherry (Cornus mas)
Currants, Gooseberries, and Jostaberries (Ribes sp.)
Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis)
Fig (Ficus carica)
Highbush cranberry (Viburnum opulus L var. americanum)
Haskap/Honeyberry (Lonicera caerulea)
Raspberry (Rubus idaeus)
Trifoliate orange (Poncirus trifoliata)

Fruiting groundcovers

Alpine strawberry (Fragaria vesca)
Arctic raspberry (Rubus arcticus)
Box Huckleberry (Gaylussacia brachycero)
Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon)
Lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea)
Pineberry (Fragaria chiloensis x Fragaria virginiana)

If I can’t track something down I may tag some folks to ask about certain photos I’ve seen posted.

6 Likes

If i can give you a tip… this is what i do.

Go to FB.

Type in whatever you are looking for in the search.
Toggle onto the photos tab…

There are more pictures on there than on Google… people love to take pics on FB.

If you try to find pics on a FB group such as Hobby Fruit Growers…all you will get is people asking questions about which limbs to prune or what disease is on it… very rarely will you see a healthy example.

However on the other method…folks are showing those things off and usually very well represented.

I have found some lost cultivars this way… and varieties not sold by any nurseries.

4 Likes

I think I could find everything I need here too… I just don’t want to use people’s photos without permission. But that is a good tip Kris!

4 Likes

I have some to share. Though mine do lean more on “what not to do” or problems. If someone wants to send you fruit tree photos, where should they send them?

1 Like

I’ll send you a message. What not to do photos are sometimes more important for people to see than the good ones!

2 Likes

I can send you some stuff on pawpaw

1 Like

Gave my presentation this morning- lots of positive feedback received along with lots of questions. Thanks very much for those who offered to let me include their photos in my slides.

I’m sure there’s something I missed or got wrong, but I did the best I could with the time I had to work with.

4 Likes

I love it, especially the mention of slope of the land and the connection with frost, as well as “hooved rats”, my nickname for deer as well. There’s only one thing that I’ve observed to be missing: a picture of the “park’s giant slide”!

1 Like

Slides look great. Thanks for the credits :nerd_face:

1 Like