Shinsieki vs Bartlett

Hello guys this is my first year with both these variety espalier pear trees. My question is the Bartlett seems to have 10 times the amount of fruit buds than the shinShik. Am I looking at this incorrectly or is the Asian pair just a little late to flower. if you look at all the branches off the cordon, it looks like all the wood, stacked quarters, should have fruiting buds on it.

1 Like

@Johnl

Yes I see no fruit buds on your shinseiki pears. The Bartlett pear seems to be heavy with blooms.

So does that mean it was pruned incorrectly last year? Or sometime these trees are bi-annual

1 Like

Sure pears take a year off once in awhile. If they bear real heavy they nearly always don’t bear the next year. The idea is to thin them out and get consistent moderate production. @39thparallel has a similar trellis for pears and gets consistent yields.

1 Like

The Espaliered pears is my favorite part of the orchard when It’s in bloom.

Usually Asian pears are much quicker to fruit then Euro pears. Do you know what rootstock your pears are on?

6 Likes

@Johnl @39thparallel

Espaliered pears really look nice that’s an attractive conversation piece. It’s not how I raise pears though I have respect for a nice looking orchard like that.

1 Like

@39thparallel yes, they are on Pear Province Quince BA29C. I’m pretty sure the nursery that I purchased these from, left a heavy set of fruit on last year and did not thin anything out.

1 Like

Nice! I’m going to experiment grafting pears on quince next year. Pruning the espaliers on OHxF 333 is killing me.

1 Like