Should I replace this tree?

I have this Susquehana that’s a few years old. It never really grew well and leaves always seemed to look wilted. Last year, I noticed there was a soft spot at the base at ground level where the bark had rotted and eventually came off. Looks like damage from a weedeater but I’ve had it in a cage since it was planted. I gave it another year but it still isn’t doing much better and now has some cicada damage. I have pretty limited growing space so I’m strongly considering replacing the tree. Anyone this this is worth trying to save?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

1 Like

Pawpaw are pretty expensive and take a long time to reach the height yours is. It has established roots and may yet pull out of it. I would leave it. I have seen trees survive buck rubs far worse than that. If you just want the space for something else pull it. It’s about what you want.

2 Likes

My Susquehanna is my least vigorous pawpaw I grow. Similarly mine received some damage during a storm and has been very slow to recover, but I decided I’m leaving it. It will still have a better chance at coming to fruit then if I start new IMO. Like @Robert said it’s about what you want.

1 Like