Should I still Plant Fruit Trees in the ground in Dec in Virginia

Scott, Thanks. I have some trees I will plant now. I will also receive some trees as well as grapes from Isons in mid January. Several of the trees I will be receiving will be pomegranates do you think I should just place the poms in the garage. Thanks .

Thanks for the advice I will water them well. Thanks again

Yes that sounds like a good idea.

2 Likes

Hi Dave,
I’m in zone 7a in NoVA and currently facing the same question you went through 5 years ago. Got a dozen trees ordered and coming mid Dec through January. Wondering how your trees turned out for you planting them during this time frame. I got couple of plums, a Saijo persimmon, 2 pomegranates, several asian pears and some jujubes.

The only thing I would be concerned about on that list would be pomegranates. They are marginal and may not like freezing their first winter. So for me I would pot those up and put in a cool dark place until spring, but I would plant the others out right away.

3 Likes

Thanks Scott, I’ll pot those poms and leave them in the garage over winter then.

Hi,

I followed the great advice. I received here. I did plant them in the winter, and they did fine. I think you should follow Scott’s advice and not plant the pomegranates in the ground. I also ordered and received some pomes in the winter and I placed them in pots and put them in the garage. I planted them in the ground in the spring. I hope this helps. Where are you in VA.

I’m in Fairfax County, VA

Received 5 plants from Willis Orchard today. Looks good overall, especially the two pomegranates with lots of fine roots. I’m a little concern about the plums and saijo since they don’t seem to have a much roots for their size. Potted the poms for overwintering in the garage and planted the others in the ground a few hours later. Thank you all for the advices.

Uploading: satsuma.jpg…

1 Like

Those don’t look too bad, or maybe I just have a low bar for Willis :grinning: They used to send out a lot of nearly-dead stuff.

After I already ordered from them, I stumbled onto some comments regarding their reputation and got a little worried but it seems the trees were well packaged and shipped quickly as stated on their web page. Hopefully, the varieties they sent match what I actually ordered but I won’t know for sure until they bear fruits.

2 Likes

So just to follow up on the recommendation on here for poms…I potted up the pomegranates and they’ve been sitting in the garage waiting for spring. When in spring should I put them in the ground, around March or April? or should I wait until the overnight temperature consistently above some threshold? Thanks.

I ordered a Saijo from them with roots like that. Fast forward 3 years and it’s a fruiting 15 foot tall tree. Sometimes you luck out.

2 Likes