Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

Sorry I do not have any fig seeds .

@naeem Do you have a variety called Maryland Berry? I just got one, thinking with Maryland in the name, it must be hardy here. But, it seems it was named for some other reason.

I’ve gone from not eating figs to having 5 trees in a matter of month. Y’all have created a monster!

3 Likes

Desert for tonight…

CH Figs

9 Likes

Maryland Berry belongs to the Mt. Etna figs. It is similar to Hardy Chicago. It is hard to tell the difference of all the Mt. Etna fig varieties.

2 Likes

@Robert — You are in similar zone to me and I noticed your pic of the Olympian Fig.

I love my CH Fig… and I am considering other varieties to add to my collection. I have seen several (in zones similar to me) on youtube giving it good reviews.

Some things I find appealing about it is the Size (100 gram fig)… much larger than my CHF.
The reported taste (peaches/honey) - that would be quite different from my CHF.
It is very cold hardy, z6 - 0 degrees - as hardy or even more so than my CHF,
Big producer and somewhat early main crop (ripe figs early July in Wilmington NC).
I found info posted by Seattle fig girl, saying it is quite split resistant.

I am going to add another couple of Figs in the next two years. Smith may be the other I have to try.

For something Different ? I am wondering if Olympian might be a good choice.

Would love to hear how you would rate it or describe it on Taste, Production/Growth Vigor, Split resistance.

The size and cold hardiness seem to be less debatable.

If any others have tried this Olympian fig in a Zone similar to mine (7a Tennessee) would welcome your opinions too.

Thanks
TNHunter

Olympian is a big ol fig. Taste wise it is not my favorite. I have Celeste, Brown Turkey, CH, Violet db, White Marseiles and Beers. All have survived well here.

Olympian is a brown fig. It was reported found in Olympia, Washington. It does not require a lot of heat to ripen the figs. I get a small tree that has not ripened any figs this year yet.

I tend to stay away from very large fig like 100 grams. I have an Atreano/Lyndhurst White and it sent out many large figs. The figs are so heavy on the small tree and some dropped before they were fully ripe.

I think in your zone, you get more choices than folks in PNW. They do not get intense heat and can’t grow a lot of the dark berry figs.

I think it is good if you choose some from each group, like Mt. Etna, French berry, Honey, Sugar, Adriatic etc. Olympian belongs to the sugar fig group. Brunswick is similar and more hardy, but some say it splits in humid climate.

1 Like

I have it nothing special.

Go for it , if you can protect it. I am a big fan of smith and it has everything you want opposite of hardy Chicago.

1 Like

I do not have it but heard it is Chicago Hardy type fig.

2 Likes

Still harvesting from my inground Carini after second full year, It did split when we had lot of rains but now producing excellent quality Honey Berry figs and I love these.

11 Likes

@ Naeem

What is the full name of this Carini?

I get an Adriatic fig from Carini. It appears there are multiple Carini figs.

I do not have much information except cuttings came from a fig tree growing unprotected in VA and owner named Carini thats what my friend told me.

2 Likes

There multiple fig trees with Carini. And they are different.

1 Like

Thats fine because these things used to bother me but not anymore. If I really want to sort these out only way is to grow all side by side which I am not going to.
If a fig taste excellent , hardy and early thats good enough for me.

7 Likes

Somemore Ben’s Golden Riverside, LSU gold , and Italian Honey figs.

7 Likes

What do you think of LSU Gold. I have a cutting started this year, but wasn’t sure whether it gets a larger container or I just keep it in a 3-gallon to just get a few figs to taste.

1 Like

It is large and real sweet. My daughter favorite. Ben’s Golden Riverside aka Roberts Golden Riverside or Yellow long neck all hyped. Not real sweet and got a little floral flavor. Mediocre fig that’s for sure. I felt bad for the guy who won the bid on figbid.com for over $500. It should be $5.

4 Likes

So true. My White Marseilles should be even better than those hyped Riverside/Rainbow. They are found to be similar to the Brooklyn White and the old Yellow Long. All are sugar/honey yellow figs.

3 Likes

Chicago Hardy 9-17-21, z6b.

8 Likes

This is the Sorrento (AD). The fig is small, but very strong and sweet berry taste. I believe the ripening period is short too, probably about 70-75 days. I did not keep the record since I did not know the figlets would ripen.

7 Likes