Show your local fruit varieties

Concerning berries: look at that wild raspberry plant next to our barn!

It looks really happy and healthy in this crappy spot. The soil is very dry and rocky there.

5 Likes

That plant looks beautiful, interesting that it’s doing so well in such a spot, has it produced or spread much?
I just transplanted a small blackberry cane that popped up under the fence. The plant has been growing between my neighbors garage and the fence, in with the weeds, for close to a decade. When I was digging, it was more just pulling out rocks the size of marbles and walnuts mixed with sandy dirt. The new owner completely cleared and then added tarp and gravel around the garage, so it was more of a rescue, and I had completely forgotten there were berries hidden in the brush.

2 Likes

raspberries are the 1st pioneer species here after a fire or in disturbed areas. a clearcut forest becomes a big raspberry field if it isn’t sprayed with herbicide before replanting. they are a very tough plant.

2 Likes

Yes, they are though, but here Blackberries outgrow them very fast because you can’t stop Blackberries with mowing. This raspberry only survived because it has most of its canes hidden behind the stack of pipes and I was too lazy last year to go behind the stack and pull it up.
Now im glad because while it had a few berries last year, there seem to be more this year. And they’re early too…

1 Like

Wow, didn’t realize how crazy they’ll take hold of open area. What a tasty weed lol. On that note, I’m surprised more people don’t try to contain them in raised (or sunken) beds as a way to control the roots. I’ll be growing mine in beds, only because I am gardening on paved driveway.

2 Likes

Fabulous fruit and veggies are hitting the local farmers market on Wednesday, here some from this morning. The tomatoes

are spectacular !

7 Likes

give them a little fertilizer next spring. bet they will produce a even better crop. i planted a row of wild blackberries in my yard that i found growing in a local park. in the wild they grew sprigs of 3 -4 flowers per lateral. the ones i planted in compost have 10-15 per lateral. i should get a good harvest from them this summer.

2 Likes

In spring 2022, the Leuenapfel-tree is full with at least 100 flowerclusters, so chances are I’ll get to taste them this fall…

2 Likes

And any luck? :apple:

I really like this thread. I’m based in Germany, and it’s amazing (a little overwhelming) how many local varieties there are. Once I gain some more personal experience I’ll also share some local favorites.

As a Swiss apple fan, do you have experience or opinions about Lubera’s cultivars? I’ve got several Redlove cultivars in addition to Sparkling and Utopia. So far I’m very pleased.

1 Like

The Leuenapfel-tree did set fruit but all were pecked by crows long before they were ripe. They at least got ripe enough that I could confirm the general description concerning the shape and size. Maybe next year!

I’m glad that you are happy with your Lubera apples. For some reason, they aren’t really widely known or discussed in the Swiss apple scene. I have only tasted some Redlove Sirena, an older of their varieties, that they as far as I know, don’t even sell anymore. I wasn’t wowed by it, but it isn’t bad either, not bad enough to not graft it, anyway. My friend that gave me the scions used to make red cider and red apple rings with it, and for this, they were useful.
I have tasted none of the newer varieties and it is probably not fair to judge them all by Sirena. What I can say is that I dislike not knowing the parentage of a variety that is claimed to be disease-resistant. I understand that they want to keep an advantage against competition, but sorry, not buying these overpriced trees then.

Additionally, I perceive Markus Kobelt as guy that knows very well how to sell himself. Nothing wrong with that, that’s needed to succeed in business. But the combination of the very professional marketing (the homepage, the ridiculous names of the varieties, the sale of the week, the renaming of Cornus mas varieties) and the fact that very few information is known about the genetic background of all their “groundbreaking” varieties makes me somewhat suspicious of them. Don’t get me wrong, I believe they do interesting work, I just believe that most of their releases are overhyped.

But if you are happy with their varieties I am very glad for you. And who knows, maybe I am too cynical…

3 Likes

I watched an incredible show last night on television. It was about the fig and storefruit growing areas of Provence. Where I live. There is an Island off the coast of southern France called Porquerolle. For those interested in figs the island and nurseryman (small island) have the largest collection of rare figs on this planet earth. It is worth a visit for sure. The island is known for sailing. It is very quiet and peaceful, but there are three small hotels. Lovely place. I want to see and taste the figs. Next September will be ideal.

2 Likes

Thanks for your insights. I second many of your opinions. While I find the over the top marketing material educational and helpful on occasion; everything therefore comes with a higher price tag and I have a bit of an ick feeling (and I am a marketer myself :grimacing:).

The intransparency about parentage (or even origins) is definitely a turn off. I get the feeling that in some cases Lubera doesn’t even add value or improve something, but then just brand an imported or “rediscovered” tree or plant with a trademarked name, which only creates more confusion to the fruit world. It feels like a pretty shortsighted, though commercially successful, approach.

That being said, apples seems like a strength of theirs, I like the range (129 varieties), and I have only gotten healthy, well-packaged plants from them.

I’ll share my notes once I have more experience with their apple trees.

1 Like

Alan, another issue along those lines are registered produce names that refer to a series of cultivars and not a specific one. This practice arose in an attempt to lessen confusion and labeling in retail stores. For example, here in California I can find a specific name of nectarine being sold in the store all summer long, but in reality it is 5 different successively ripening cultivars.

1 Like

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I wonder if such practices are allowed in consumer protective EU. :thinking: Here, in Germany, it’s rare that supermarkets don’t list exact cultivars, growers, country of origin, etc. on all produce. Maybe a difference in regulation or just the market. Anyway, I don’t want hijack the thread.

1 Like

French pears. Took these pictures this morning. Ten varieties from one vendor alone.

Abate Fetel
Red poire Williams
Green Poire Williams
Guyot
Louise Bonne
Comice
Provence

The signs were hard to read.

7 Likes

I’m most excited to try the Guyot pears. They are very large and beautiful. I hope they taste good. The Abate Fetel are always wrapped inthe most beautiful paper. They are so good!!!

3 Likes

The Guyot pear was really delicious and so juicy I needed two paper towels! Very sweet and very melting. Very much like my Abate Fetel which I am saving for tonight! I love pears!

4 Likes

I have an Abete Fetel in my orchard. It sounds like a delicious pear to eat. My tree is too young to produce fruit yet. I may get some fruit next year, hopefully. I look forward to trying my first Abate Fetel ever.

2 Likes

More pears! Many of the same varieties but such a difference in sizes (and price!)

4 Likes

Mespilus germanica L.

4 Likes