Small seedings can survive the winter outdoors in zone 5?

Start some Asian pear seedings and not sure if I should bring them in basement during winter. I am in zone 5b and winter could be very harsh. Here is the big one. Most are much smaller than this. Thanks!

2 Likes

If plants stay dormant in your basement that would probably be best, if it gets too warm then an unheated garage or shed might be better. I’ve lost pawpaw seedlings because the drain holes froze shut and the containers filled with water and then froze solid.

3 Likes

I have some Asian pear seedlings survive in zone 5a/b, sometimes some frost burnt tips but overall good. I had one freeze to the ground and come back for several years so I dug it up and moved it in a greenhouse but it froze in a pot and died

I put these in the ground last fall and they came back good. Low of -26 for one night in January. I like to put several seedlings together for various reasons.

1 Like

Nice looking seedling by the way

1 Like

Thanks for the input. Since I have a couple of seedings, may leave two outside and the rest in the shed/basement. Will find out next year…

1 Like

Another way to overwinter plants in a pot, is to mulch around the pot, or dig a hole and sink it into the ground.

1 Like

August=planted Fuji apple seedlings made it through winter in little flat of 18 sitting under a dying ash tree…except for one or two. zone 6b

1 Like

thanks!

1 Like