Some Vegies and Herbs

That is an old synonym for Bergera koenigii.

Wow, it loves your garden! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think my best bet is to try and find a plant. Starting from seeds and nurturing a seedling probably wouldn’t work. So if you could find the address for me, I’d appreciate it. Plus who knows what else is there. Have to check it out :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Typical Tumeric offered here

2 Likes

Wow. Look at those nice grow points!
We have another month until frost at which time I’ll experiment with cooking with the freshly harvested roots.
Speaking of roots, my yacon beast is not staying in his lane. Is there some advantage to waiting to frost to harvesting it?

1 Like

“yacon beast” … LOL.

At six foot, I think you have serious tubers underground.

We are fixin’ to get a LOT of rain, some from Nate too, so I pulled the Yacon.
IMG_1541
Funny how they look like the sweet potatoes I pulled the day before.
The tubers were nicely formed and not oversized. Apparently, like sweet potatoes, they develop more sweetness after setting for a month.
The roots on the left I have yet to figure out as far as the growing points are concerned. Some grow points appear to be on the bottom and pointing sideways. I have to get back to it. Did this all in haste to beat the rain.

2 Likes

Very nice!

Holy cow! They did it! They ripened. I’ll send them straightaway. @Susu please PM your address.
And it looks like more are yet to ripen if anyone else wants to give it a go.
IMG_1542

1 Like

The berries should be fresh, plump and need to turn black before the seeds become viable.

1 Like

Here are my plants

4 Likes

Those are beautiful, Vinod.
I’ll be bringing mine in within the next month and repot the runners. I try to keep them small just for convenience of transport.

Since Citrus is viable (and present) in your yard, I highly recommend you set up a trap and start monitoring for Asian Citrus Psyllid. Curry Leaf is the primary host.

Processed the Curry Leaf and prepped to bring in. Here is before. 5 gal bucket for scale.
53106484948__792F965E-1CAB-4521-8687-11328ADDF1DA-1
After…
IMG_1563-1
And the point of the exercise…Curry Leaf seasoning oil…yum.
IMG_1564-1

6 Likes

Just ordered some leaves today!

Fresh?

Yes from an Indian market on the internet. :grinning:

2 Likes

Yacón, six feet high and blooming :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice, Richard.
Do you know the variety?
I read you should allow them to ‘cure’ for a month after harvest to increase sweetness. We did and had them 2 nights ago in a salad and they were delicious!!! Haven’t put them in a stri fry yet but plan to. Will def plant as much as I can next year…well, need to see how long they keep in storage first. And if they store well,… well then move over sweet potatoes.

1 Like

I believe these are simply the species – no particular cultivar.

In a root cellar, or …?

These folks list a number of varieties.

Mine is Morado. Unfortunately they had a flood which they say destroyed their crop so none will be available until fall of 2018. Everything is ‘sold out’. They do, however, have excellent and detailed info on growing and storing yacon and their other offerings.

Haha, too close to sea level for such a luxury. I have been watching them and doing them like sweet potatoes or other bulb-like harvests. In my experience managing humidity is key and I use a combo of newspaper(drying, when air is humid) and grocery bags(moisture retention when heat dries the air) depending on the time of year. And just check them all over when I go to use them.

1 Like