South Carolina/Southern Rootstock Recommendations?

Hi everyone! I’m kind of new here (been trawling the older posts for a bit, though.) and I’m trying to get my little backyard orchard off to a good start. I’m in zone 8a South Carolina, on ridiculously sandy soil and would like to grow out some rootstock to graft onto. For peach (and plum?) I was hoping to use guardian. Has anyone had experience with it? Would you recommend it over the Nemaguard rootstock? I’m also wanting to try espalier apples and pears (I know, but I’m a glutton for punishment…) , but kind of confused by Clemson’s suggestions. Suggestions welcome!

I have trees on Guardian and so far I can see no difference in growth vigor. I have clay based soil so nematodes are not an issue for me. There is conflicting information about how cold hardy Guardian is on the internet but since you are in zone 8a cold hardiness should not be an issue.

1 Like

Thank you for your response! Yesterday I was in a tank top, which is quite odd for our usual zone 8, so I think I’m good as far as cold tolerance. :slight_smile: Its the sandy soil that can be so aggravating. I’m likely going to have to amend some just to increase the water retention properties.

All of my peaches are on Guardian. I won’t grow them on anything
else.

1 Like

I have a couple on Lovell that are going into pots for rehab, but i thought I’d take the opportunity to look to upgrade rootstocks. I see you’re local, Rayrose, would you mind if I sent you a DM to pick your brain about varieties?

I’ve grown many different varieties, but I’ve culled that number
down to my two favorites, Winblo, and July Prince.

2 Likes

@rayrose, those two are definitely on my list! Do you have any experience/thoughts on Karla Rose/Snow Queen, Honeyblaze, Redglobe, and Autumn Prince? I’d love to find a good yellow and a good white peach or nectarine.

Of the ones you’ve listed I grow Honey Blaze and it’s very
good. I don’t grow any white ones. Just don’t care for the taste.
I’ve grown a number of the Prince series and July is the best,
hands down. Red Gold is also very good with a good acid balance
and the size of a baseball.

1 Like