Spots on apple leaves planted last year as bare roots

I have 3 varieties of apples I planted as bare roots last spring: roxbury russet, galarina, and sundance.

I noticed spotting on the leaves today.

(Sorry for the blur - it was so bright outsode I couldnt get the ohone to focus)

Is this a fungus? Help?

Best,
Lisa

2 Likes

The top one looks a lot like cedar apple rust to me, but I am not very experienced in disease ID so hopefully someone with a good eye will respond to you.

I have a little LED loupe from Amazon that I use and that has helped me identify things more definitively. You can really see the fungus under a little magnification so when I’ve had CAR I was certain. It’s pretty unmistakable. I think I can see the structure in your picture with the naked eye, too.

5 Likes

@LJCohen Yes, definitely cedar apple rust. It’s not going to kill the tree and if those trees aren’t fruiting yet you probably don’t need to worry about. You can treat with a fungicide next spring as preventative measure before you see the orange spots.

2 Likes

Thank you @Buckeye and @belowtheterrace

I’ll keep an eye out and spray next Spring.

Best,
Lisa

2 Likes

Seconding Cedar Apple Rust. Even with sprays, my trees still get it in my area. Some trees are more resistant to it, but even my “resistant” trees get it so far.

1 Like

Immunox (myclobutanil) works well, about two sprays in the spring should give complete protection.

2 Likes

Thank you!!