Spring Satin Harvest

I wouldn’t even attempt to try to replicate the formula. To me, it’s
hardly worth it. Although it only comes in 1gallon size, it never
goes bad. The stuff I sprayed was 3 years old.

1 Like

Scott, ALL of my fruit is insect free. I sprayed Malathion twice,
and nothing else. But I also pick up ALL fallen fruit on a daily
basis, and I regularly cut the grass.

4 Likes

Thanks

Better luck next year sir!

1 Like

That is what mine look like also.

Ray, I am becoming more convinced each year how important this is. This year I am cutting up a fair number as I pick them up and I find many already have the worm escaped. It seems its something like a couple days on the ground at the most before the worm is out. I’m probably getting 80-90% of them picked up before the worm exits but I need to get the % higher.

Fortunately they have now moved on from the Spring Satin, no new drops there in several days due to no egg laying for some time. But the Euro plums they have as usual done an extended season on.

3 Likes

Scott I know it can be a royal PIA, but you have to do it every
single day, and not just one tree, but the entire orchard. You have
to disrupt the breeding cycle of whatever insect you’re fighting, or else
you’ll never have clean fruit.
We all spend considerable time, work, and money in growing our trees,
and I’ll be dad gummed, if I let ANY varmint get the best of me. I’m
fortunate in that I’m retired, and have the time to keep my orchard clean.
It’s the first thing I do in the morning, while it’s still cool. After 10:00, I’m
inside watching TV or playing with my new girlfriend.

2 Likes

Very impressive Ray. How old is the tree?

It’s about 10 years old.

1 Like

After I read that you pick up fallen fruits everyday, I rushed out to pick up mine. Thanks!

I’m wondering if anyone has used one of these gizmos to pick up drops

No but it looks cool!

1 Like

I planted one this spring. I bought it with the idea of using it as a donor tree. Going to graft it on a lot other trees.

Just had my first Spring Satin in two years (last years were lost to freeze). I just had to come here and say how good these things are!!! Unfortunately I don’t have many this year either (freeze again) and several are ugly cat-faced fruits due to stink bugs. But man oh man are these things good!!! SO GOOD!!! I have one very large tree (8th leaf) and one small one (3rd leaf). I almost never plant 2 of the same tree so that should tell you how much I love these things

Anyone else getting them this year? @rayrose? Others?

5 Likes

Only had a few and one is remaining. Great taste and early.

2 Likes

I am and have had them the last two years. Yes, they are top rate fruit. They produce very well here. I only have one small branch. It grows slow, but I think it is location. I need to move a piece elsewhere. That small branch consistently fruits each year.
For me Toka, Spring Satin, and Weeping Santa Rosa are my best plums. I have yet to try many others though. All have fruit this year. It’s a fantastic year here for plums. I’m curious about Vermont, Superior, Hollywood, Laroda, Lavina, and Inca. All have fruit this year.

2 Likes

Mine is a very vigorous tree, I have to aggressively prune it every year.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m thinking I need to move my graft to a better location. On the north side.
I have a pluot seedling. I may graft on it nest year. One scaffold to SS.

@Drew51 When does she wake up compared to other pluots or plums? How about frost hardiness?

I think you will love superior she is my first tree to wake up, pretty weak to the snap frosts sadly but incredibly flavorful and crazy juicy.

Mine is on a wild plum and it really hasn’t grown a lot over the past few years. Only a few fruit this year. I probably need ot get some wood off of it and move it onto K1…

1 Like