Spring signs!

i hope my patch of crocus look as good as yours. just planted last oct. hope the voles didn’t get them. where did you get your bulbs? mine came from color blends.

1 Like

I got these two years ago from walmart. They just came up doubling every year for last two years.

1 Like

I need to get some white ones… they are cheerful.
Does anybody grow orange version? They are really pretty too.

1 Like

Spring has sprung and everything is soooooo green here. Always looks good after a storm.

Mowing season has started!

15 Likes

Nice neat yard

2 Likes

My crocuses cane up about two weeks after @Naeem. The first flowersin my yard. They have been first ones up year after year.

10 Likes

I have the tiniest signs of life- no flowers, yet, but it’s still quite exciting. :slightly_smiling_face:

uncovered this strawberry from under some leaf mulch and it seems to already have a bud.
honeyberry buds opening
black currant getting ready
daffs
garlic chives have been munched by the bunnies
evans cherry, always a welcome early riser
pear graft, reusing some roots after the moonglow died. My husband did the bark graft. He is more dexterous than me.
my grannies’ angel, pondering if april showers will indeed bring may flowers.

6 Likes

Finally, there sign of spring

8 Likes

Saw my first bee yesterday, it was a bumblebee, though, not a honeybee. Oh, and the mosquitoes are back, too, annoying pests.

@k8tpayaso, are those trellises in the last pic for your blackberries, or muscadines/grapes? Your place looks like it’s nicely organized. Have y’all had to mow yet? It’s looking like we’ll have to get the rider out soon, the grass is getting really thick in some areas, moreso over the septic drain fields…

2 Likes

Wow! I’m only 2 hrs north of you but I can’t get over how far ahead things are there. Regarding the strawberry blossom, is it by chance an everbearing variety that formed it last fall before the cold shut things down? Usually the June bearer’s pump out a couple nice sets of leaves before they make flowers. . .

2 Likes

It may very well be from last season. There’s a stem right next to it that looks like a spent blossom that didn’t get around to becoming a fruit, so i bet that’s what it is. I was pretty surprised when i saw it. I didn’t know the flower stems would make it through winter? I don’t know what variety it is, the tag got lost. I have had the plants for two seasons now and actually have never had a taste of the fruit due to chipmunks. I’m going to fight back this year, I’m over thinking theyre too cute to kill.

We got rain today and everything is starting to green up. The black currants have had green buds for a week but the cherry has just started to show green this last few days.

1 Like

[quote=“subdood_ky_z6b, post:129, topic:14932”]
are those those are muscadines. Blackberries are in the back.

We have mowed twice and I have trimmed once and it needs it again. I’ve got to go around every tree and vine pulling grass and weeds because they grew all winter.

2 Likes

i have the blue, white and yellow also the purple tommies.

1 Like

I just noticed you said it was mowing season in your original post. Sorry. Anyways, looks very tidy. I’m sure it takes work to make it look good.

Yeah, I need to weed, fert and mulch my trees, as they’re starting to wake up now. Got a lot of work to do there. I’ve just been trying to tend a bunch of problems lately, namely three vehicle issues, and replacing a leaking water tank in the house. Plus, I need to plow our plots and start a bunch of seeds, too. I’ve done more work on the farm in the last couple months than I ever have, and it’s looking better, but still lots to do.

1 Like

It’s always a lot of work. As much as I try to stay up with it I can never keep everything mowed, weeded, watered, sprayed, etc. my husband is working at present so that takes a few more hours away from the job. He’s just doing census so that will be temporary but seems it’s falling during the growing season!! Somehow the work in your garden and orchard sure seems easier and less stress than the one you get paid for!!!

4 Likes

Outside it’s finally… warming up for good, lets hope!
Black raspberries in GH a few days ago and it was hot!!

2 Likes

Temp dropped to the 30’s today and my first Daf bloomed:

9 Likes

First crocus opened today. Forsythias and scillas blooming. Liverwort starting to appear in the woods. The valley has a greenish tinge to it as the buds starting to open on the trees. I enjoy watching the view change day by day this time of year!

5 Likes

mine opened last week. :wink:

I’ve been looking all over for a blueberry grape vine. Only place I could find them was for wholesale on the L.E. Cooke Co website. May I ask where you got yours from?