Squash 2022

Mild flavor, necks remind me of spaghetti squash in flavor. Much denser than regular summer squash. I’ll sautee them next to see if there’s a difference. Not too flavorful, but most summer squash isn’t.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Is there a noticeable difference between ‘Centercut’ and the regular heirloom tromboncino?

I also read while digging up more information on this squash that it is nice grilled; the texture holds up really well apparently.

Not really? I think Centercut needs another year or two to be fully stabilized, there’s a bit of variability.

1 Like

Thank you!

I’ve never heard of Autumn Frost/Robin’s Koginut Squash! I’m always looking for more great moschata types. This one sounds like one I’d love! Trying it next year, thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

I wonder if Autumn Frost is a cross between Kikuza and Butternut? I may need to do some experimenting with controlled crosses!

1 Like

Acorn squash coming in!

6 Likes

First year growing Tromboncino as a zucchini substitute. These things are ridiculous. This one just bloomed and was already over 2 feet long - enough for several meals.

Half the vine wandered over to the plot next to me in the community garden and I told the gardener I could cut it or leave it if they wanted some squash. They decided they wanted the squash, but are letting them go for winter squash and they have one hanging now that is probably 4 and a half feet long.

6 Likes

I’ve got a Spaghetti Squash that is growing up a bamboo pole in one of my big grow bags right now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got butternut, zucchini, white pattypan, spaghetti, and pumpkin growing out in my little garden right now. I’ve already harvested from the pattypan and the zucchini. I’ve got a nice spaghetti growing, but it’s only about 2" in diameter at the moment. I’ve still got about 2 months left in our normal growing season. I’d tried a yellow pattypan, but I think the white one just keeps eating its nutrients. They’re both in a raised bed.

I’ve been harvesting a zucchini a day, today we had a nice size for lunch. I failed on pasty pan squash this year.

If anyone wants summer squash that don’t succumb to squash vine borer, I cannot recommend Haifa’s Finest from Fruition Seeds enough. Started early and hasn’t stopped, tasty too. The other zucchini have long since died off, but this one is still going strong! It’s semi vining, but it’s not too aggressive.

Yellow crookneck also resists SVB, but they can be more aggressive.

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! I went to the page on Fruition Seeds and read the backstory, neat. I’ll add this one to my list!

1 Like

I had a great growing year. It rained a lot and was hotter than hell.

I picked 95% of Waltham:

7 Likes

Experimental Farm Network sells a similar one called Homs Kousa, if memory serves.

1 Like

Trombocino and an 8 year old

9 Likes

nice Dax! i tried to grow some but the cold, wet spring killed them. will try planting out later next spring. i finally have 2 watermelon about the size of a softball. how can you tell when watermelon are ripe?

1 Like

When the spot in contact with the ground turns yellow watermelon should be ready.

2 Likes

My Final Squash Harvest

My best Georgia Candy Roaster!

8 Likes