Stanley Plum refuses to produce flowers or fruit

Plums are like cats. They are going to do their own thing regardless what we do. LOL! Most years they break your heart. But then there is that year where reward you with a crop and keep your doting affections for another few years until they decide to make again.

1 Like

My first plum trees were a stanely and multigraft asian plum from a local farm store. The asian plum flowerd and fruited in the third year. The stanley didn’t flower until the sixth year. It flowered for years without setting fruit. It finally set a heavy crop when my other euro plums bloomed for the first time. I guess “self-fertile” is a bit of an exaggeration.

My Stanley set some fruit this year . Only Euro plum that I have . Less fruit than blooms but it is a young tree .

My sucker prune plum took 9 years to start to bear.

Here’s my experience so far with European plums…
Stanley planted 4/20/2014 rootstock is peach redleaf or Marianna 1st year to bloom/maybe have plums 2018
Miller’s Big Blue planted 5/1/2012 rootstock is unknown 1st year to bloom 2016 1st year to have plums 2017
Opal planted 4/15/15 on Krymsk 1 1st year to bloom/maybe have plums 2018
Empress planted 4/9/2016 on Krymsk 1 1st year to bloom/maybe have plums 2018

Krymsk 1 is suppose to be a precocious rootstock but I don’t know if it all has to do with the rootstock. As @alan has said

I must say that his remark is verified with me as far as Empress plums go. It would appear to me as well that Opal might be as well.