Stickers, surfactants, acidifying water

I’m planning my spray schedule for next year as I had poor results this year with too many fruits damaged by insects and fungus. As part of this schedule I am researching stickers, surfactants and acidifying water (captan requires acid water)

In the past I have used LI 700 to acidify my water.
I have also used citric acid.
I also have Nufilm

This year I used Nufilm and citric acid. I am now out of citric acid and deciding to order more or change my strategy.

I have a TON of LI 700 as it comes in 2.5 gallon jugs and it only takes about 2oz per 25 gallons of water.

My strategy for next year will be to use the LI 700 as an acidifier and surfactant. Does it make sense to use Nufilm also?

Thanks

LI 700 is a penetrant. For a surfactant I recommend Loveland Hi Wett.

According to the loveland website LI 700 is also a surfactant. Am I missing something?
I will read about Hi Wett
Thanks

The local Agrium (owns Loveland) crop advisors don’t recommend LI 700 as a surfactant, and caution against it. I have noticed deleterious effects from it on Citrus.

You mention citrus. Should I avoid it on Apples and Pears?

OK,
Since your post I have done some more reading and investigation.
Michigan State University recommends citric acid to acidify water.
It seems like there isn’t much info about using LI 700 on apples. I will keep using in with roundup and/or 24d for spraying weeds.

Looks like my best plan is citric acid and nufilm
Thanks

Yes, it is recommended for use with herbicides. It works better than diesel as a penetrant.

Reading the Nu-film label, it is similar to Hi Wett.

If you are using copper during your winter sprays, consider coupling it with Manzate Pro-Stick. Here is the label, check for applicable crops and pre-harvest intervals:

Manzate Pro-Stick Fungicide Label.pdf (319.8 KB)

Thanks very much for the info. I will keep using the nufilm because I bought a big jug of it.
I do not spray copper as I have not had any fireblight in my orchard (yet)
Thanks

1 Like