Stone or small fruit bagging

@BobVance. Thanks Bob for looking up the older post on your fathers bagging peaches. Rather than hijacking the post I started a new one. I found some bags at Walmart that look to be small and comparable in size (6.5" x 3.25") (regular sandwich bag 6 1/2" x 5 7/8").

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Zipper-Snack-Bags-200-count/44676665?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=44676665&placement_id=irs-2-m2&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=bd130e6d-6d08-49a1-bd6b-8b850ebca769&customer_id_enc&config_id=2&parent_item_id=40642917&parent_anchor_item_id=40642917&guid=1921b362-8e6f-4888-b484-9a4c83a6db1b&bucket_id=irsbucket012&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

1 Like

These smaller bags might be better for bagging smaller pears and apples like the Seckel pear and Yates apple. I have a few of these two fruits this year and I will note the mature size.

1 Like

Are you cutting off the corners or poking holes in the bags? I found a bad ripped open the other day.

My first year I cut only the corners and the second year I cut the corners again and also cut a few more spots on the bag. Several of the bags had excess moisture buildup in year one and two and I lost a few pears and apples. This year I made a temporary drill form that had small holes spaced about 3/4" apart. My opinion is that the extra holes helps with eliminating the moisture from the bag. I bagged about 250 apples and pears with almost no moisture issues yet. I have had about 5 bags pushed open and I think this is from not getting the zip closed properly. I tried punching the holes with a nail but they tend to close back up. I drill about 25 bags at a time so it doesn’t take long. I only had one plum bagged this way and it had no issues. Bagging takes a lot of time to do but it is still the only method for me to get near perfect fruit without pesticides.

2 Likes

I cut the corners and caught a bunch of plum curculio sneaking through the open corners.Had a big problem with moisture in the bags also.

1 Like

The drill bit I used is smaller than the PC so I think I will be OK on that part. Hope I have a few nectarines in 2017 to give my improved bags a real test.

1 Like