Stonefruit Rootstock for the north 4b

I’m interested in trying to grow peaches and tart cherries in zone 4b, Watertown, NY. What would be a standard size rootstock which would be cold tolerant? Lovell, guardian or Bailey? Varieties of peach I’m considering are intrepid, contender, reliance, elberta(if any of you have scion wood of those let me know). I also found a peach tree growing not far from me, and the owner said I could take some cuttings.

For cherries im considering montmorency and rainier. Am I missing any varieties worth trying?

Has anyone had success doing stone fruit to a modified central leader? That’s how im training my apple trees. I know vase/open center has been the standard for stone fruit forever. Any feedback is appreciated.

2 Likes

For cherries, I’d strongly consider the U of Saskatchewan bush cherries (Romeo, Juliet, Carmine Jewel, Wowza!, etc). They’re like the standard tart cherries, but with an easy bush habit, fewer disease issues, and much more cold tolerance.

Have you checked out Fedco Trees’ catalog? They usually list a few peach varieties that should do well in more northern areas.

1 Like

I may have some peach scion wood when I prune. I’ve been grafting into manchurian apricot apricot seedlings with success. Although they’re aren’t bearing yet. I ordered Kristin and Hartland cherry for sweet cherries to try.

2 Likes

Meteor will go down to low temps nd grows well on its own roots.

1 Like

i have monty and 4 of the U of SK release cherries and lutowka rose . all hardy here in z4a. so far monty tastes the best and has a little bigger cherry. lutowka rose hasnt fruited yet. im also trialing a ranier/ stella grafted cherry on the south side planted against the house. hoping it gives it enough protection to survive our winters. interested on how peaches do for you. i was considering trying the same thing here.

2 Likes

Who sells the Saskatchewan cherries. I’m interested

1 Like

ive got all mine from Honeyberry USA.

2 Likes

Gurneys/Gardens Alive is the official US partner and has the best selection. However, they really squeeze you on pricing. However however, they often have coupons, and they sent me a huge tree/bush/whatever. There’s a perpetual “limited time offer” of 30% off or something like that, and they regularly have coupons for $25 off $50, $50 off $100, etc. I’ve heard good things (better than Gurneys) about Honeyberry USA, so @steveb4 s suggestion is a good one to follow.

Or you could find someone willing to dig you a root sucker. The names are trademarked, but they don’t have US patent protection.

3 Likes