Storm Damage

We had a storm move through last night and I found some unfortunate consequences this morning on my Redbud. I don’t have much experience with trees, so I was hoping that you all could give me a hand on deciding if this tree is salvageable and how best to salvage it. Sadly it is one of the only trees in my yard large enough to provide shade and it’s only 15 feet tall

1 Like

I would put it back in place as soon as possible and tape with black electric tape, maybe add a support.

1 Like

The narrow V-shaped crotch angle strikes again! Callery pear (Bradford Pear) likes to explode on itself like this too. Sorry! I wouldn’t try to reattach – cut it off. Perhaps try an asphalt sealant on the bare surfaces — you have 1/2 of the trunk’s cambium still intact. The rest of the tree will be fine. The wound will heal over in several years.

2 Likes

I agree with the removal idea as well. IF it really makes the tree lopsided I might consider complete removal of the tree just because of the long term aesthetics.

1 Like

I ended up trimming a lot of the weight off and attempting to repair. I also need to go out and trim up the rest of the tree to hopefully prevent another another occurrence. I’ll give it a few months and judge then if the repair will work, if it doesn’t I’ll likely end up cutting down to a stump to see if the tree will sucker. Thank you so much for all of your help! I know this tree will likely fail but I just can’t give it up easily, it’s the largest tree in my yard :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

1 Like