Stow fruit Z- How true from seed

Hi, how " true from seed" are stone fruir?

And… are there differences between different varietis?

Thanx

1 Like

I saved some of seeds from fruits in my own backyard. I want to find out how true they might be

ive been spitting out the stones from my u of sk cherries on the ground around their parents. im sure some will come up next spring. i will transplant some of them to compare to thier parents how they fruit.

Re haven and montmorency come darn close to a clone in all my tries, 13 tres.

1 Like

Unless it is a super rare variety, with very high qualities not shared by similar varieties, I won’t bother growing a stone fruit from seed. A good example for such situation is Anya apricot. Otherwise, you are looking for a waiting time of 4-7 years to get the first crop (which is not of the best quality), and additional 2-3 years for the tree to mature and produce best-quality fruit. On top of that, one will need to grow at least half dozen trees so that he/she maximizes their chances of getting a tree with desirable qualities. If you have not already, I recommend reading @Stan ’s posts on his experiment growing Anya seedlings.

3 Likes

All my seedling fruit trees grow better than the grafted version. My sour cherries are healthier than grafted but do take an extra year to produce. Anyway It is a lot cheaper than paying $45 each to catalogs for bear rootless sticks that half die anyway.

1 Like

planning to take all my sour cherry seeds and grow them to share with family, friends or trade with others for different fruit trees/ bushes. building a raised nursery bed next spring and plant all the stones from my s. cherries in there.

1 Like

Italian Plums come pretty true to serd