Subtropicals in zone 7

I’ve found it to be completely hardy here, even pushing a new flush in the winter, but mine hasn’t encountered anything like zone 7 temperatures. The flavor isn’t bad, but does have a strong resinous aftertaste (reminiscent of citrus peel?), and the seeds are somewhat large and many per fruit. The resinous taste is less if you let them get very ripe, but since they change color way before that stage it’s hard to not accidentally pick them too early.

I have also heard that it has become invasive in the UK, so that’s something to consider before introducing it somewhere new.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information.
I have a common myrtle which is pretty cold hardy with minor freeze damage. (I planted it for hybridizing experiments).
Maybe chequen tastes better than luma a.
It is worth trying it.

Thanks for the taste description.
And it is indeed something to consider that it is invasive in UK.

I am in zone 7a, tried all kinds of tropical and subtropical, abandoned all except Jaboticaba and citrus. No problems with either one.

2 Likes

You can’t have feijoa?

I strongly believe and also my experience, that many tropicals have trouble because the air is to dry. Especially in heated rooms in the winter.
Therefore I built a tropical box with high humidity

I put the plants to late inside

1 Like

I remember pictures of your jaboticaba from before, it’s quite a sight, amazing.

Anyone knows how much light do white sapotes require in the winter? I know citrus trees can stay in absolute dark as long as the temperature is close to 0C/32F. But I am not sure about casimiroas. Would hate to kill them that way.

1 Like

Were you ever able to get ahold of this one Paul?

Yes, I got some plants now but I am a bit doubtful of it’s hardiness. While it survived -3.5C in the greenhouse the bigger tree got a bit of red blush which I consider a sign the plant is not too happy when exposed to cold. I will leave them in the pot for one more year and then see what happens when exposed to elements over the winter

2 Likes

It looks like Marcos has it now under a slightly different name (if this is the same?):

As far as hardiness, this is what he says:

Boasting an outstanding cold hardiness of approximately -4°C

2 Likes

I have this Campomanezia sp… still didn’t fruit but its a nice bush…

1 Like

No it is this one, I bought seeds from Seeds Hunter (one was like 25$) but not sure if he still sells them

1 Like

Ah, it looks like he does not sell it anymore, or it’s under a different name now.

1 Like

From FB / Joe Hewitt

2 Likes